Thread: PAINT OR POWDER COATING

PAINT OR POWDER COATING

TRYING TO DECIDE WHAT IS BETTER
    PAINT OR POWDER COATING WHAT IS THE RIGHT POWDER COAT
    FOR NHRA AND SOMETHING THAT THE RULES WON,T CHANGE IN A
    YEAR OR TWO

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Powder will hold up way better and IMO looks nicer with some colors (like a super chrome with a candy color over it)

but the downside is you want to add a tab you have to grind on it and touch it up with paint anyways.

NHRA does not like ANY hammertone colors
    David Lanning
    IHRA NHRA 387B

Fleenor Racing Transmission
    419-280-1406
    Lanning Electric
    Complete Drag Car Wiring
    APD Race Engines
    www.apdracing.com

Pain will chip but powdercoat has some "give" to it.
    Dave
    Dave
    http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/343797
    "All that is necessary for the triump of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

for durability i would say go with powder coating but of course like stated be for if you fix/add something would have to paint to touch back up
    CRIMEDOG
    Sam Wood

i am a powder coater and we coat a lot of show car stuff , ranging from wheels to motors , heads , we do glass, wood, alum , steel , just about anything that can handle the temp. all of our race cars are powder coated and it is hard to chip if it is done right !!!!! we do alot of Harley tanks fenders an so on , it will hold up 5 to 10 yrs compared to paint !!!!!

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    You may want to talk to your tech in your area and see what they say about what powdercoat isn't legal. I have heard hammertomes on frames aren't legal but not sure. Also i would have it cert. before to make sure all your bars are right. If they won't hold a sticter for you if you tell them your powdercoating it then I am sure they can tape over it for i dont think the put powder on too thick. Good luck in whatever you decide

Senior Member SENIOR BUILDER
    Powder Coating looks nice and holds up well, but it can be a real pain at times. I broke a rear shock mount about a month after powder coating my chassis. Had to replace a couple of bars and since the cert sticker won't make it through the oven I had to just paint the repaired area.