motor go boom

Old 01-25-2010, 04:04 PM
txhunter69
EXPERT BUILDER

Default motor go boom

i spent the last month and a half or so building my first motor and trying to learn from trial and error and figure it out my self after a lot of frustation i finally got it to start with a little help from a freind. the valves were off and when they were adjusted they opened enough to let the three bolts a pivot ball and a rocker arm nut into my cylinders that some one had dropped into my intake wana talkj about a bad night

4 cracked cylinders 1 ccylinder missing half its wall and alot of tima and money down the drain any one had a similair experience
Old 01-25-2010, 04:31 PM
dragonmaster093
RACING JUNKIE

i can honestly say nomy first rebuild/ assembly i had watched /and read enough to know a. when intake is off to have galley covered b. when carb off plug intake ( rag, tape) and to be sure all parts and fasteners accounted for. not saying nothing bad about so dont think i am . just knew possible out comes if i screw(ed) up and the prostpect of thoughing money away was never something i wanted to through in on my learning curve
Old 01-25-2010, 04:35 PM
txhunter69
EXPERT BUILDER

well when the intake was off valleys were covered and i put the tbi on intake soon after putting the intake on so i dont think it was a accident
Old 01-25-2010, 04:39 PM
dragonmaster093
RACING JUNKIE

i would have to agree then
Old 01-25-2010, 04:43 PM
txhunter69
EXPERT BUILDER

ya cause it took 1 night to put back together but a while to get back in the truck and get all the electronis plugged up cause the people who owned it before me had "rigged" some of the things together
Old 01-25-2010, 04:49 PM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: motor go boom

Originally Posted by txhunter69
i spent the last month and a half or so building my first motor and trying to learn from trial and error and figure it out my self after a lot of frustation i finally got it to start with a little help from a freind. the valves were off and when they were adjusted they opened enough to let the three bolts a pivot ball and a rocker arm nut into my cylinders that some one had dropped into my intake wana talkj about a bad night

4 cracked cylinders 1 ccylinder missing half its wall and alot of tima and money down the drain any one had a similair experience
If it makes you feel better about 30 yrs ago (I was only 19 at the time) had a similiar experience. Had the engine done ran for 30-45 minutes got good heat in it and shut it down for the night. Came back the next morning to recheck the valves one more time. After a few minutes it started missing and popping so we shut it down and checked numerous things couldn't find anything. So we fired it back up then we found it. Someone visited us during the night and dropped a bolt down the carb, it traveled from head to head and finally bent a valve bad enough to get in the cylinder and it stopped.
We saved the crank and the cam.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:21 PM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

Now you said this was dropped down the intake :?: How in the world did all these parts get thru the valves :?: I mean if i am reading this correctly :? :? The valve would have to opened at least 1/2 inch for a rocker ball,nut, and three bolts to get pass them :!: :!: Now maybe thru the spark plug hole but even at that i kinda dought even that :!: Now i am not disputing your word but i think i would look for another way they got in :!: :!: :!:

''JUST MY TWO CENT'S WORTH''
Old 01-25-2010, 05:25 PM
MEMRACING62
RACING JUNKIE

something smells real bad here! any jealous so called friends?
Old 01-25-2010, 06:04 PM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by MEMRACING62
something smells real bad here! any jealous so called friends?
That's what I think happened to me. :cry:
Old 01-25-2010, 09:43 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by txhunter69
well when the intake was off valleys were covered and i put the tbi on intake soon after putting the intake on so i dont think it was a accident
Sounds like you need to do some a$$ whooping, & get some new 'friends'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -