Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WHAT CHEVY MOTOR IS THIS?????????????

WHAT CHEVY MOTOR IS THIS?????????????

I just bought a new racecar, and Im starting to rebuild the motor. Now heres my problem: I was told the engine was a 350 but the cylnder bore is 4.25 inches which I belive would make it a 400. The block casting number at bothe the rear and at the fron of the head flange is 3970044. I CANT FIND THAT NUMBER ANYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!! Not in any book, catolog, web-site, NOTHING! The only info the previous owner car tell me is that it was a motor and it ran....... HELPFUL.... I've checked a few other forums where other people asked the same question but were told the engine didnt exist or that it was a 327. I dont buy the 327 aspect because of the bore diameter. If you could tell me what I have, I would apreciate it. Thanks, Dave

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    I've never seen an SBC with a 4.25 bore. A 400 has a 4.125 bore. Are you sure of your measurement?

TS1955

100% posative of my measurement, its my typing thats the issue. It is indeed a 4.125 bore. For some reason or another I mis-typed it.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE THERATTLER's Avatar
    a 327 was a 4" bore ,,I have seen a few bored out to 4.125 because some early blocks had thick cylinder castings , I had one that lasted a couple of years before it let go , not saying that is what you have , but it is possible..
    ***IN GOD WE TRUST***GOD BLESS AMERICA******

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE BEAST477's Avatar
    How many freeze plugs are on the side of the block? If it has three I believe it's a 400 block.
    BEAST477

Only a rich man can afford to use cheap parts.

http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/177549

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE THERATTLER's Avatar
    the numbers on the head flange , do they have any letters with them???
    ***IN GOD WE TRUST***GOD BLESS AMERICA******

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    bbc

I never thought to count the freeze plugs. DUH!.... I dont remember there being any letters on the head flange, but thats not to say that there arent any..... I'll be back at the shop tommorow afternoon so I will double check then. Now heres a stupid question; if this is a 305, 307, 327, or a 350 nut is not 100% I dentified as such, would the main and rod berings all be interchangeable? Im sure they wont be, but its worth a shot in the dark. Thanks again Everyone!!!!

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    I read a couple of places where the 3970044 turned out to be a 3970014. Just something to look at.

TS1955

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    Is this not you on post #28 of the forum below...? Under the name Chianese...?
    http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/te...k-casting.html

Why would you continue this topic if you have already admitted elsewhere that you made a mistake....? If you claim this is not you, I find it hard to believe two people could have such a rare unique problem at the same time... ???

JMO and curious so you sharks don't have to jump my ass for wondering and questioning...!
    I'm not hatin... I'm just sayin...