Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Serious about doing this

Member JUNIOR BUILDER

Serious about doing this

I have a friend that needs a kidney transplant. I have O blood type which means no matter what type he is i can donate....after he goes to charelston, Sc to be evaluated i am seriously considering giving him one of mine...if anyone knows anything about this that they dont mind sharing, it would be greatly appreciated!!

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    Not sure on what to do...but I hope everything goes OK!

TS1955

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE mopar1968's Avatar
    My Wife is a surgery nurse has been for 22 year's now, I am a ambulance medic, And speaking from experence i can tell you it is a long surgery, long recovery, and a painfull one.

''JUST MY TWO CENT'S WORTH''
    Head's up the true drag race!!

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    Your a good man to be serious about this. How ever it goes the best of luck for making your dessicion and future outcome on this.
    Live every day like it were your last, because someday it will be.

Member JUNIOR BUILDER
    thanks mopar lol!!!! you always tend to brighten the day lol ...i have read about it and there arent any serious risks and bein so young there really isnt any chance that my other kidney will fail but they check you for anything that could happen to it.....we will see what happens tho he is going through i dialysis now he is miserable

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER gearhead1011's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mooneye777
    Your a good man to be serious about this.
    Unless her profile is wrong she isn't a good man but a good young lady. What you are talking about is a very selfless and brave thing to do. I have a 19 year old daughter and it would scare the crap out of me if she wanted to do something like this.

From what I understand about organ donation there is a lot more to being a compatible donor than having the correct blood type. If you decide to do this I'm sure you will get quite the education on it. I wish you and your friend well with whatever you decide. God bless.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Hey Girl,
    I liked this response the best, you may have too put your best front forward :lol:

(Your a good man to be serious about this. How ever it goes the best of luck for making your dessicion and future outcome on this.)

Seriously, as mopar stated it is long recovery for both parties involved and it doesn't always work for the reciepent. My neice is also a nurse/NP and we had a long and intresting conversation about tranplants a few months ago when my son's liver shut down due to alcohol abuse, he pulled through it barely and they recommended no transplant for atleast 1 yr. of being alcohol free.

Zip.

Member JUNIOR BUILDER
    yes i was gonna make it clear that i wasnt a man lol but didnt want to start any drama haha!! its ok though if you look at my racespace you will deff know im not a man!!!!!...or am i?!!!!! haha jk! but yea i read alot about it here online and i know there is alot more then just the blood type to match up with, but im going to the dr tomorrow and gettin some blood work done..have to have a cancer checkup so i am going to ask them more questions then! thanks for all the support and it really means alot that yall dont mind sharing!!

Member JUNIOR BUILDER
    well i went and had blood drawn yesterday to make sure i was healthy and all that...next i have to go to my cancer dr to see if the leaukemia is going to set me back from donating...just thought i would give an update!!

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    just a thought . would donating a kidney limit your treatment options in the future if you had a reaccurence ? chemotherapy is pretty hard on all organs in the body. you have a big heart to be considering doing this for a friend.