Thread: To stroke or not to stroke ???

Junior Member APPRENTICE

To stroke or not to stroke ???

Hey i got a street/strip car and have a 357 sbc with flattop pistons, Dart iron eagle heads 180cc. How much of a gain would i see if i got a rotating assembly and stroked it to a 385. I'm figuring on around 11 to 1 compression ratio. I know there are alot more variables but just rying to get some idea ??? I run an 1/8 mile track and have 430 gears, I want to stay max at 6500 rpm.
    Let me know any thoughts !! Thanks

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    What is the transmission and weight of the car?
    Dave
    Dave
    http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/343797
    "All that is necessary for the triump of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

Junior Member APPRENTICE
    Th350 , weight of car to be determined yet, its a 80 malibu, lightend up somewhat, I would have to guess 3400 or so ? I dont have a stall yet, but i'm figuring around 3000-3500, All i have right now is my shortblock 357 stock lower end fairly fresh, flattop pistons, I should be right around 10.5 to 1 comp, right now, And i have a fresh set of dart iron eagle 180 runners, milled to 60cc. I dont have a cam yet, I also have dual plane intake, and no carb. So thats why i'm trying to figure which is the best way to go. I'm not looking to get real crazy with the money. If i got a kit from scat or eagle it would be one of the lower entry level 800 or 900 dollar kits ! Just didnt what kind of gains i would have !!

I would guess 50 to 75 HP atleast with a mild cam, my 80 malibu weighs 3250 lbs with nothing but a glass hood and bumpers, also entry level rotating balanced Eagle assys, can be bought for around $600.00 less shipping. Check the ads. here on RJ.

JMO

Zip.

Junior Member APPRENTICE
    I got a fiberglass front bumper, made a lightweight core support like 5 pounds, fiberglass liftoff hood, no heaterbox, so i did lose some weight, i plan to weigh it in the spring.

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER

stroker

This same swap picked me up .2 in 1/8 and about 1 mph it really made it kick in the 60' Later J.Smith 4621 racing

Quote Originally Posted by jakedog3
    I got a fiberglass front bumper, made a lightweight core support like 5 pounds, fiberglass liftoff hood, no heaterbox, so i did lose some weight, i plan to weigh it in the spring.
    I have the heater core gone, but all the intruments still in the car, but my car is backhalfed 4 link 9" so it's actually a little heaver in the back. I also have all the original glass and roll up windows and 12 point cage and 2 fiberglass front seats. So i'm thinking your car will weigh close to same as mine, which has a 377" on alcohol and run 6.52-1/8mi. and 10.59 @125 mph in the qtr.

JMO

Zip.

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    Personaly, I would rather be blown, than stroked :lol:

Frank

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    good one!

maybe find a 400 and get more bore and more stroke?

dont mean to start the age old battle of will it be prone to cracking or not,if it was mine id put a bbc in er and be done with it