Thread: 540 bbc spark plugs

Junior Member APPRENTICE

540 bbc spark plugs

To all that can help, I am running a 540 bbc on the street . Compression is 9:6.1 flat top ,Cam is a solid roller isky .313dur. int. .276@.050 .730 lift cam is degreed in at 106.375 and valve to piston clearance is .097. Heads are brodix bb-2 plus and intake is hv 2000 , heads have been flowed and mild port work. They flow on the intake at .700 lift 377 exh.277 carb is a quick fuel950 p series mech. I am currently using autolite #3924 plug,the ground strap heat mark is in the centered from the electrode tip to the middle of the ground strap is this showing the correct range? And the #1 and#2 cylinders are showing alittle more richness than all the other plugs. What is causing theses cylinders to run diferently.

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    as for plugs, alot of people run ngk vpower plugs,good value easy to read,especially sprayed motors...call your head manufacturer they will know best ngk vpower...

the fronts are rich,well the middle 4 will be leanest, usually the rear two are fattest cause of g forces when launching...so what gives with the fronts,,, dont have a clue

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Same heads, 468, 10.2 comp. smaller cam .660 lift. 454R manifold, 1050 dom. NGK 8's, tried 9's but too cold.

Zip.

X2
    NGK V power #8 heat range.

On a side note:

I used to get these plugs from the napa warehouse here in Memphis, always in stock and only 1.99 a pop - no brainer right?

I called the other morning to get me a set.
    Nope, no longer stocked them.
    Said I would have to come in and pre-pay to order them and then pay $8 for shipping :shock: Thought that was pretty shitty of them.

Called O-Riely's, said they didnt stock them but could have them in by noon.
    Price> 1.99
    I told them, they just got a new customer.
    Might wanna buy some O-riely stock guys...lol

Cp
    ***IN GOD WE TRUST***

Get a champion or stay with the autolite, there was a loss in HP just putting the NGK;s in mine ..
    seen more ngk's cause a miss then any plug
    David Lanning
    IHRA NHRA 387B

Fleenor Racing Transmission
    419-280-1406
    Lanning Electric
    Complete Drag Car Wiring
    APD Race Engines
    www.apdracing.com

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    call your head manufacturer for the specific size plug, then everyone is gonna have their own favorite

i run 5671-7 on motor 8s on a small shot nitrous, and 9's for up to a 275 shot, ill never run anyother plug(mostlikely)

I run brodix 2X heads and use NGK 8's

Quote Originally Posted by hammertime
    Get a champion or stay with the autolite, there was a loss in HP just putting the NGK;s in mine ..
    Maybe you had the incorrect heat range? I used to run #9's years ago and had problems with a top end miss after a bit. Dropped down to #8's never missed a beat.
    In fact the plugs I have in mine now I put in last spring, still popping off perfect, just wanted a fresh set.

I've heard good things about autolites too, only thing I'd put a champion in is, my lawn mower :shock:
    ***IN GOD WE TRUST***

Quote Originally Posted by cepx111
    Quote Originally Posted by hammertime
    Maybe you had the incorrect heat range? I used to run #9's years ago and had problems with a top end miss after a bit. Dropped down to #8's never missed a beat.
    In fact the plugs I have in mine now I put in last spring, still popping off perfect, just wanted a fresh set.

I've heard good things about autolites too, only thing I'd put a champion in is, my lawn mower :shock:
    champions a full 5 faster then both 8 and 9's .. the only thing close to the champions were a autolite 3932 and 3910, accels were right on target with the autolites. I never used to like champions either .. my engine shop swears by them :wink:

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    I used Autolites 3933s in my Dart 355 headed 540 with a 14.2 compression. The dyno guy liked the way they looked after 15 dyno pulls.