SBC AC oil filter collapsed

Old 12-29-2009, 03:39 PM
cartwright454
JOURNEYMAN

Default SBC AC oil filter collapsed

Any one have any trouble out the AC oil filters? Fired up my 406 yesterday (cold day). I got some heat in it and pulled it out of the barn and into my shop looked down at the oil psi and is showed 20 psi "holy Poo" :cry: , I shut it down, checked oil, looked good, pulled the filter and put a new hastings on it. I fired it back up and it is back to 60 psi .
Old 12-29-2009, 03:49 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

I actually seen this last season at the track, he changed oil at the track started it up and lost oil pressure. Found the filter had done the samething. Purlator Pure One for 4yrs ... no issues
Old 12-29-2009, 05:00 PM
JimmySmith
MASTER BUILDER

Yes it happened to me and I used AC filters for I know 40 years.Later J.Smith 4621 racing
Old 12-29-2009, 06:23 PM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

Wix or NAPA which is made by Wix is one of the best to use. Stay away from Fram....
Old 12-29-2009, 07:04 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I know the stories behind FRAM but correct me if I'm wrong...isn't the racing fram different? or have there been issues with those as well? I know there have been with regular PH13 or whatever like sold at Wal Mart.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:44 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Tod74
I know the stories behind FRAM but correct me if I'm wrong...isn't the racing fram different? or have there been issues with those as well? I know there have been with regular PH13 or whatever like sold at Wal Mart.
Tod,
I'm sure their HP filter is better than their off the shelf replacment junk.

But with all the horror stories associated with fram, I would'nt run a fram filter if they paid me!

On a side note:
I've never had any problems out of a AC delco filter, I have used them in the past on my daily driver(s)
I'll think twice now, thx for the heads up dudes.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:21 AM
DRTRCR22
EXPERT BUILDER

I had lost two $10k circle track engines due to Fram oil filter collapse before switching to a new engine builder who madates I only use one kind of filter...
CarQuest label filters are actually made by WIX, and my engine builder uses only these for all his big block 2000+ hp engines and all his 500+hp circle track engines, even all his alky engines. They are about $8.00 each, and it is my only choice now, because the man knows his stuff.

Previously I had lost the first one roller motor on a Fram PH that collapsed the entire filter, can and all, the second was a flat tappet motor that was on a Fram HP that the element collapsed against the steel inner casing cutting off flow. I will not let anyone even bring a Fram into my shop ever again.
A lot of circle track guys use get the cheapest filter off the shelf because it has the least filtering restriction, and we are changing oil and filters every race night anyway. I am convinced WIX is the only way to go. Jim
Old 12-30-2009, 02:37 PM
cartwright454
JOURNEYMAN

So I will ditch the hastings and go with a wix. thanks
Old 12-30-2009, 03:11 PM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Tod74

If I recall right from the threads that I read on here about Fram their HP filters also collapse. So it is not just their regular filters.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:44 AM
TheEngineer
MASTER BUILDER

I think the key factor here, is that most of the race filters have a "much thicker" canister side wall thickness. Whereas, a standard filter (non-race) has a very thin canister. The internal filter element, is another issue.

Warren

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -