Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What converter are you running

Junior Member APPRENTICE

What converter are you running

Please tell me whose racing torque converter you are using and if you are happy with its performance. If you replaced a previous converter and have verifyable data to show improvements, please provide gains achieved.

Thanks.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    I have a 8 inch 5800rpm spragless Transmission Specialities converter behind my BBC.

I have run this converter for the last 2 seasons and was pleased with it's performance, thats is... till I found it has over 17% slippage :shock:

I'm pretty sure it was loose from the get go and they do offer one free tweak within the first 6 months. I just never knew it was loose till someone on here ran the numbers for me.

I wouldn't be afraid to buy another one though.

Cp
    ***IN GOD WE TRUST***

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    I've run Continental for as long as I've racing. In fact I've only had one racing convertor, ever. It's an 8" that I bought in '95. Initially it was set up for my 63 Nova with a 406 and 5000 stall. I had it freshened and restalled to 5500 when I bought my FED, then again to 5800 when I went with a big roller. One more time when I installed the 522RM in my Vette roadster, still at 5800. I"m sending it in again this winter to up the stall a bit more. Kris has always nailed the stall I wanted on the first try with 5-7% slippage.
    Johnny

I've learned over the years converter shops are like car salesman

I've tried several brands and the only one not to go back on what they say is Coan ..

call and ask for Art Reed
    David Lanning
    IHRA NHRA 387B

Fleenor Racing Transmission
    419-280-1406
    Lanning Electric
    Complete Drag Car Wiring
    APD Race Engines
    www.apdracing.com

I've ran Continental, Hughes, and PTC, current is PTC, and they will stand 100% behind their product. I've had good luck with all of them, never broke one, but PTC is closer for me and will have something in a couple days if necessary.

JMO

Zip.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE mytmouz's Avatar
    X 2 on PTC. I have used them before and will again. My current convertor is from BTE, good service from them also...
    If you think nobody cares, try missing a payment...

Quote Originally Posted by mytmouz
    X 2 on PTC. I have used them before and will again. My current convertor is from BTE, good service from them also...

I just got my coan converter back from a freshen up it was about 70.00 less then we figured

want to add after I got this coan back ... it was 600rpms tighter then it was when I sent it in ... and of course they told me I was down on HP and would not fix it... I wont be back there either
    David Lanning
    IHRA NHRA 387B

Fleenor Racing Transmission
    419-280-1406
    Lanning Electric
    Complete Drag Car Wiring
    APD Race Engines
    www.apdracing.com

Quote Originally Posted by cepx111
    I have a 8 inch 5800rpm spragless Transmission Specialities converter behind my BBC.

I have run this converter for the last 2 seasons and was pleased with it's performance, thats is... till I found it has over 17% slippage :shock:

I'm pretty sure it was loose from the get go and they do offer one free tweak within the first 6 months. I just never knew it was loose till someone on here ran the numbers for me.

HOW DID YOU OR WHOEVER FIGURE OUT SLIPPAGE?

Cp

8" ATI CONVERTER 4500

Quote Originally Posted by JEFF69Z28
    Quote Originally Posted by cepx111

HOW DID YOU OR WHOEVER FIGURE OUT SLIPPAGE?

Cp
    /www.tciauto.com/Products/TechInfo/Calculators.asp