shut down procedure

Old 12-21-2009, 08:55 AM
mooneye777
MASTER BUILDER

Default shut down procedure

Now that we have had the burnout procedure thread, its time for the shut down procedure.

I have usually have thrown the car into neutral after crossing the 1320 mark, is this the proper way to end a run ? I have been told by some to leave it in gear, and by others to throw it in neutral, What is the way you do it.!!!!!!!
Old 12-21-2009, 09:08 AM
TS1955
DYNO OPERATOR

If it's a real short track I'll leave it in gear to help slow it down...but if I have a lot of room I'll put it in nuetral and just use the brakes.

TS1955
Old 12-21-2009, 09:14 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

no way will I ever put a car in N ... I've witnessed more people loose the car and worse get hurt by doing this.

It may be easier on things to some but I have no issues not doing it .. just a risk I am not willing to take.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:27 AM
slowmotion
RACING JUNKIE

I've used neutral before. I had cooling problems and would shut the car down and coast. Gateway has a very loooonnnggg shut down. Since we put in the new radiator, I leave it in gear. going to neutral can be very dangerous.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:27 PM
TS1955
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by hammertime
no way will I ever put a car in N ... I've witnessed more people loose the car and worse get hurt by doing this.

It may be easier on things to some but I have no issues not doing it .. just a risk I am not willing to take.
Hey David,
You've got me couriuos about this...Please explain. Thanks

TS1955
Old 12-21-2009, 12:54 PM
THERATTLER
RACING JUNKIE

maybe just my cars , but in my dragster if I throw it up in neutral the chassis unloads and it starts moving around ALOT . IF i LEAVE IT IN GEAR , IT STOPS STRAIGHT , NO BOUNCING OR ANY OTHER BAD BEHAVIOR..woops didn't mean for those to be caps ,,,sorry
Old 12-21-2009, 12:56 PM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

Maniac, the CAP POLICE are watching you!!!
:lol: Dave
Old 12-21-2009, 01:03 PM
THERATTLER
RACING JUNKIE

I know ops: ops: not real stupid , just can't type
Old 12-21-2009, 01:06 PM
THERATTLER
RACING JUNKIE

I don't know if there is any truth to it or not , but I was also told one time that it was bad for a automatic trans to be put in neutral at high speed , something about it turning at high rpms but the pump not because engine is off or idleing , like I said , mayby some trans guys might know more on this,,,,Paul
found this thread on the subject http://forums.racingjunk.com/viewtopic.php?t=10286
Old 12-21-2009, 01:31 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by TS1955
Originally Posted by hammertime

Hey David,
You've got me couriuos about this...Please explain. Thanks

TS1955
Sometimes its easy to find reverse .. I seen this happen at norwalks ten grand nationals this year, it took out 2 cars both drivers were ok. I seen a TS car last year roll 10-12 times and go into flames he had minor burns. I seen a brand new dragster go to the scrap from this also. No sense is risking injury to yourself or others, accidents do happen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -