Thread: bbc spring retainers

Senior Member SENIOR BUILDER

bbc spring retainers

i've heard not to exceed 7000 rpm with steel retainers is that true? should a guy just spend the money for titanium right off the bat?
    if something goes wrong there is always the cooler!!!

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    That's absolutely NOT true, as long as you get the Cromoly with 10 degree locks they are good to as many rpm's that your engine will turn. The big advantane with Tit, is they are lighter and may let the springs respond quicker on closing the valve.

JMO

Zip.

Senior Member SENIOR BUILDER
    so my question is are the ones that come with the dart 308 heads good for over 7000 rpm's?
    if something goes wrong there is always the cooler!!!

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    It depends where you bought them from, Example Compitition products uses Cromoly retainers with 10* locks, Jegs uses Tit retainers, with 10* locks, if you bought a used set i would invest in known cromoly retainers and 10* locks. I think if Dart put them together they would use Cromoly.

Zip.

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    Its all dependant on spring pressure. If you have more spring than you need, which really isn't a bad thing, it works fine. The titaniumn retainer will allow more rpm for a given spring load. You will likely need 40-50 more on the seat to make up for the weight difference.

Frank