Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupid BBC Dart Head Question

Stupid BBC Dart Head Question

My 86 Monte needed to go on a weight reduction plan so I thought I'd go get a set of aluminum heads. After all you can only do so much with the old cast 049 heads which weigh about as much as the car. So I bought a set of Dart Pro 1's 310cc unassembled. While they are still sitting on my dining room table I noticed that the rocker stud holes go right into the intake runners. This was kind of a shock to me because all the heads I've seen (cast gm's) never had the bottom of the rocker studs sitting inside the runners. Doesn't this cause a problem? I thought I would just trim the stud but I would still be left with cleaning up where the tap runs down into the runner. I was wondering how you guys deal with this.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE

Re: Stupid BBC Dart Head Question

Quote Originally Posted by MCSS86TA82
    My 86 Monte needed to go on a weight reduction plan so I thought I'd go get a set of aluminum heads. After all you can only do so much with the old cast 049 heads which weigh about as much as the car. So I bought a set of Dart Pro 1's 310cc unassembled. While they are still sitting on my dining room table I noticed that the rocker stud holes go right into the intake runners. This was kind of a shock to me because all the heads I've seen (cast gm's) never had the bottom of the rocker studs sitting inside the runners. Doesn't this cause a problem? I thought I would just trim the stud but I would still be left with cleaning up where the tap runs down into the runner. I was wondering how you guys deal with this.
    My bmfs are the sameway they take special studs
    David Lanning
    IHRA NHRA 387B

Fleenor Racing Transmission
    419-280-1406
    Lanning Electric
    Complete Drag Car Wiring
    APD Race Engines
    www.apdracing.com

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE BEAST477's Avatar
    My Brodix are the same way.
    BEAST477

Only a rich man can afford to use cheap parts.

http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/177549

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE TheYellaBrick's Avatar

My crew chief takes a 'special' stud also !!
    :shock: :shock: :shock:
    OOOOps....wrong forum ops: ops: ops: ops: ops:
    TRUTH is HATE
    to those who
    HATE TRUTH

God Bless our folks in uniform
    "We the People, have your backs"
    http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/279898

Quote Originally Posted by DrivingMissDD

My crew chief takes a 'special' stud also !!
    :shock: :shock: :shock:
    OOOOps....wrong forum ops: ops: ops: ops: ops:
    BRAGGER!! :P

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    lol

Got it. Shorter stud length (ouch) on the intake rockers. looks like I just have to live with the intake runner wall that isn't smooth where the stud tap came through. I was thinking (there I go again) there was some magic epoxy that could be used to smooth that up.

You can use epoxy to fill the gap left by the shorter studs then after it dries you can smooth it down some with fine grit sand paper, the air/fuel mixture will never know the difference.

Cp
    ***IN GOD WE TRUST***

I wish I had a pic of mine, they were smoothed before, it pulled one heli-coil out so I pulled the heads off and had inserts put into them right in the port ... the difference on the track and dyno ... ZERO ...
    David Lanning
    IHRA NHRA 387B

Fleenor Racing Transmission
    419-280-1406
    Lanning Electric
    Complete Drag Car Wiring
    APD Race Engines
    www.apdracing.com

Quote Originally Posted by MCSS86TA82
    Got it. Shorter stud length (ouch) on the intake rockers. looks like I just have to live with the intake runner wall that isn't smooth where the stud tap came through. I was thinking (there I go again) there was some magic epoxy that could be used to smooth that up.
    Manley Magic Seal Epoxy #40187 is for intake manifolds and intake runners. Goes for $28. I have a kit in stock that I can send you.
    Send me PM.
    Dave
    Dave
    http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/343797
    "All that is necessary for the triump of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke