Cooling a sbc 434, machanical or electric

Old 12-12-2009, 10:56 AM
rdy2fly
APPRENTICE

Default Cooling a sbc 434, machanical or electric

Guy's I have decided to build a 434 for my( STREET ROD) yes street rod. How best do I cool this engine, mechanical or electric water pump? The engine will be around 575 hp. I want to keep her cool.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:59 PM
DRTRCR22
EXPERT BUILDER

In my honest opinion... trying to use an electirc water pump on ANY street machine is a BIG no-no...
Jim
Old 12-12-2009, 04:16 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

Run one of these

http://www.jegs.com/i/Meziere/680/WP...oductId=756625
Old 12-12-2009, 05:15 PM
rdy2fly
APPRENTICE

That is the pump I am looking at, will it be dependable on the street and long term? What thermostat to run with a 55gpm pump? Mechanical the way to go? I will be in heavy traffic at rod runs, I am thinking that the electric will give me the same gpm idle or running all out.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:25 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

I run one in my blown small block that i drive when ever i get the chance. No problems and its been on there a little over 2 years. I run a restrictor instead of a thermostat, it has about a 5/8" hole in it.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:12 PM
russ67chevelle
EXPERT BUILDER

electric,with restrictor so i agree with previous dude...im makin 800 horseys without big shot involved and use it on street
Old 12-13-2009, 07:51 AM
rdy2fly
APPRENTICE

So, that is one vote for a mechanical and two for electric. Please give me a few more voters and pro's & con's, so I can make the right choice. I am thinking electric, does the pump mentioned above come with everything needed to install, wiring harness and such?
Old 12-13-2009, 07:59 AM
MEMRACING62
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by DRTRCR22
In my honest opinion... trying to use an electirc water pump on ANY street machine is a BIG no-no...
Jim
please explain why?
Old 12-13-2009, 10:08 AM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

Jim
That was what everyone thought before about 2 years ago.

The thing i love about it on my blown car is that i have the electric fans and waterpump wired up to the thermostat for the fans, the pump will run for about 1 minute after i shut the car off, curculating the water and cooling it through the radiator. So atleast it always gets a nice cool down rather than turning the key off and the engine holding heat for 30 minutes. Usually my engine runs warm, the air temp here is 100 degrees and i run more boost than i should, i highly recommend the electric pump above.

What size and type of radiator are you gonna use?

You might have to buy the lower radiator hose fitting that screws into the pump according to what size hose you use. I Also believe i wired in a 20 dollar relay to the pump.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:57 AM
DRTRCR22
EXPERT BUILDER

Hmmm... well, maybe this old dog can learn new tricks...?

I am from old school, and wasn't aware of the claims made by this pump company, and the testimonials from the above users...

I am also in the HOT desert climates, in southern New Mexico, where you only go cruising at night after it has cooled down to under 100* ambient temps, otherwise you won't get very far no matter how good a cooling system you have.

So, I digress my recommendation and will investigate further myself...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -