Thread: engine lacks power

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER

engine lacks power

383 sbc
    fuel pump went out a while back so the truck sat for about 2 weeks while waitin for the replacement
    got the new one put it on and the motor acted like the carb was out of tune and the timing was wrong......neither of witch had been changed
    pulled the pluggs and they were burnt white for runnin to leen, figured it was cus the fuel pump wasnt gettin enuough gas to the carb n it was runnin lean at high rpms, so i take some emery cloth n cleas em all up.....
    seems to fix the problem but the truck is lacking alot of power now, and is acting very weird....randomly it will act like it is fooding horribly or not gettin any spark, very irratic idle and have to give it alot of gas to keep it goin, then all the sudden it runs right again....could this be that there is an issue with the stock ditributer or wat??????

Senior Member SENIOR BUILDER
    More info? What kind of fuel pump? Carb? If the only thing that was changed was the fuel pump then what may have caused this problem. Debris in the fuel line? did you use teflon tape on the fitting? Etc.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    X2.

Does it have a vacuum advance??? vacuum leak? Etc...
    "I would walk through hell on Sunday before I fear the enemy"

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE TheRabbit's Avatar
    If it's having a hard time running at idle it may not be the fuel pump. It doesn't take much pump to keep it idleing. Of course make sure the bowles are full. I would also check the distributor cap and rotor button. Had that happen to me this summer.

I would pull the carb apart and check everything really good.

and I agree with
    More info? What kind of fuel pump? Carb? If the only thing that was changed was the fuel pump then what may have caused this problem. Debris in the fuel line? did you use teflon tape on the fitting? Etc.

no power missfires

had the same thing happen to me. look for trash in the fuel bowl. when trash gets stuck in the float valve it will cause the bowl to overflow and flood . can barely keep it running especially at idle. jack it a couple of time, trash gets flushed out runs great until it happens again. check it out. Or you may be over powering the float valve with your new fuel pump. (max 8 lbs)would act the same way.
    good luck.

Member JUNIOR BUILDER

Re: engine lacks power

Quote Originally Posted by bowhay
    383 sbc
    fuel pump went out a while back so the truck sat for about 2 weeks while waitin for the replacement
    got the new one put it on and the motor acted like the carb was out of tune and the timing was wrong......neither of witch had been changed
    pulled the pluggs and they were burnt white for runnin to leen, figured it was cus the fuel pump wasnt gettin enuough gas to the carb n it was runnin lean at high rpms, so i take some emery cloth n cleas em all up.....
    seems to fix the problem but the truck is lacking alot of power now, and is acting very weird....randomly it will act like it is fooding horribly or not gettin any spark, very irratic idle and have to give it alot of gas to keep it goin, then all the sudden it runs right again....could this be that there is an issue with the stock ditributer or wat??????
    The ditributer might be fooding Maybe you need to "cleas" it again :shock:

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE mopar1968's Avatar
    Must be a ''chebbie'' enough said :!: :!:

''JUST MY TWO CENT'S WORTH''
    Head's up the true drag race!!

yea it is a chebbie lol
    but i got it all fixed a couple of weeks ago, turns out it was the distributor, i bought a mallory mechanical advance and a msd coil and it fixed it right up
    runs a heck of a lot better now too
    thanx for yalls help

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE mopar1968's Avatar
    Bowhay-- I just had to :!: :!: Have a great holiday :!: :!:

''JUST MY TWO CENT'S WORTH''
    Head's up the true drag race!!

u too mopar