Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: turbo

turbo

need help with my turboi have a 1/4" oil line going to the turbo i need to now what size restrictor on the oil line thank you much1950 chevy

Member JUNIOR BUILDER

Re: turbo

Quote Originally Posted by larry52vd
    need help with my turboi have a 1/4" oil line going to the turbo i need to now what size restrictor on the oil line thank you much1950 chevy

Restricter

I just went through this Corky Bell's book says 55 to 65 thousands restricter.Mine was pumping oil past the turbo I installed a .063 restricter and that issue was resolved.

Senior Member SENIOR BUILDER
    Why would you put a restristrictor in the oil feed line anyway ? Never heard of anything like that b 4
    98 Camaro, RJ Car,540 Reher/Morrison, PG,
    8.12@167
    86 Buick GN, 10.50@129
    87 Buick GN, 11.30@116
    http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...y2010-1a-1.jpg

Turbo

I guess some turbos can't handle 60 to 80 psi it forces oil though the bearings into the boosted stream. It has solved my problem. I just hope it gets adequate oiling.
    You have two GN's so I doubt I can tell you anything about turbos, I am learning all I can as I go along.

Im not a guru by any means. I just think if its blowing oil past the seals, then you would have a seal/ bearing problem. Restricting oil to anything to cure an oil leakage problem just doesnt sound right to me.
    Craig

Member JUNIOR BUILDER
    Quote Originally Posted by gnsrule
    Im not a guru by any means. I just think if its blowing oil past the seals, then you would have a seal/ bearing problem. Restricting oil to anything to cure an oil leakage problem just doesnt sound right to me. I even drill out certain main oil passages to make sure of that.

Craig
    The problem is when you have a 3/8 to1/4 line with 80 to 100 psi it doesn't have enough time to drain back into the pan .when that happens oil will find its way out somewhere and most the time it goes back through the inlet tubes witch will cause detonation. Also ball bearing turbos do not need alot of oil that's why we run a .040 jet

Why not run a bigger return line? I run a dedicated feed line from the oil filter to the turbo just so I dont starve it of oil and a return line somewhere around a #8 or so.
    To each his own.

Good Luck,

Craig
    8.12@167
    86 Buick GN, 10.50@129
    87 Buick GN, 11.30@116

Member JUNIOR BUILDER
    Quote Originally Posted by gnsrule
    Why not run a bigger return line? I run a dedicated feed line from the oil filter to the turbo just so I dont starve it of oil and a return line somewhere around a #8 or so.
    To each his own.

Good Luck,

Craig
    OK let me try to make it better to understand. When your crankcase goes positive like with 35 to 40 psi of boost Your gravity drained turbo doesn't return oil to the pan as well. I have always ran a .040 Jet in both my ball bearing and non ball bearing turbos and never once had any problems with my turbos .but like you said to each his own .

I would think if you have 35-40 lbs in the pan, then your already blowing the oil off the skirts and you have bigger problems by now. I only run 35 lbs on the topside of the pistons and never measured whats in the pan. I would only hope its way less than boost.
    8.12@167
    86 Buick GN, 10.50@129
    87 Buick GN, 11.30@116