Dragster wing mounts

Old 10-08-2009, 07:06 PM
kod99
MASTER BUILDER

Default Dragster wing mounts

Does anyone have any pictures or schematics for mounting wings on a SC dragster? Or links to ones on the web? I am thinking of buying a wing kit and want to know where the mounting tabs should be installed. Thanks.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:31 AM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

What brand dragster? Is this a hardtail or suspended car? Reason I ask is each chassis builder mounts tabs differently if there is a rear suspension cover. Go thru the ads here on RJ and see what you might find.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:01 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Shawn its a PSP suspended car

IMO unless you want it just to look fast it'll only slow you down and be doing little to nothing on the et you car falls in
Old 10-09-2009, 05:43 AM
kod99
MASTER BUILDER

David,
I'm not sure if I will install it right now but I want to install the mounting tabs on the chassis this winter in case I want to add the wing next season. Remember, up in Canada, our season is done!
I am going to install a data logger this winter and if it shows any tire spin during a run, I'm going to mount the wing and experiment a bit. Just havin' fun!
Old 10-09-2009, 08:00 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

There is a fine line between effective downforce and excessive drag.

Any actual down force is determined upon vehicle speed and angle of spoiler/wing.

The steeper spoiler/wing angle = more downforce but also MORE DRAG.

The shallower the spoiler/wing angle = less downforce but LESS drag.

A steep spoiler/wing angle is very effective at lower speeds but a major 'DRAG' at high speeds.

A shallow spoiler/wing angle is more effective at HIGHER speeds but less drag.

On adjustable spoilers/wings ALWAYS limit it's travel to NEVER let the leading edge go into an upturned position !! :shock: :shock:

As an extra safety measure, ALWAYS safety wire all fasteners on wings.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:21 AM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by hammertime

IMO unless you want it just to look fast it'll only slow you down and be doing little to nothing on the et you car falls in
Whose car was it? Did it have tabs? I think Ronnie Berkle had Dan weld tab mounts on his suspended car and I know that the old hard tail had them. no other swingarm Dan did had them. Each deal would have been custom. On Dan's cars, no 2 were built identical. They may be similiar but never a cookie cutter of the previous car. I do not think you would be able to mount a mono strut wing with the rear suspension design. If you did, you could use tabs at the back of the top hoop were the parachute mount is at and then add a bar and tabs at the front.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:09 PM
kod99
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by shawnp
Originally Posted by hammertime

Whose car was it? Did it have tabs? I think Ronnie Berkle had Dan weld tab mounts on his suspended car and I know that the old hard tail had them. no other swingarm Dan did had them. Each deal would have been custom. On Dan's cars, no 2 were built identical. They may be similiar but never a cookie cutter of the previous car. I do not think you would be able to mount a mono strut wing with the rear suspension design. If you did, you could use tabs at the back of the top hoop were the parachute mount is at and then add a bar and tabs at the front.
Shawn,
The car belonged to Eddy Pardun. I talk to Dan and didn't ask him about the mounting tabs. I do have tabs welded about 1/2 way between the back of the engine and the tail end (top hoop) of the chassis. I assumed they were for a wing. They seem a little far back to me. Should the front tabs not be closer to the rear engine mounts? There are no other mounting tabs and I was wondering if the guy who put them on was planning on installing the rear mounts to the axle.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:21 PM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

I am trying to remember how that car was set up. Eddy Pardun got that car from Ronnie Vnuk. That was an 03 or 04 car if I remember correct. I know that a couple cars we put NOS racks on but they went over the back turtle shell (that was what Danny called the rear suspension cover). I am thinking your tabs would have something located directly of the trans, like a trans cooler or possibly a NOS bottle rack but there would be additional tabs if that was the case. I do not believe that car came from Dan with any intention to run T/D or be set up for a wing.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:15 AM
kod99
MASTER BUILDER

Here are a couple of pictures showing the mounting tabs and the bracket attached to the rear end. I assume these are the mounts for a conventional wing.

[/url]

Old 10-10-2009, 06:21 AM
kod99
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by shawnp
I am trying to remember how that car was set up. Eddy Pardun got that car from Ronnie Vnuk. That was an 03 or 04 car if I remember correct. I know that a couple cars we put NOS racks on but they went over the back turtle shell (that was what Danny called the rear suspension cover). I am thinking your tabs would have something located directly of the trans, like a trans cooler or possibly a NOS bottle rack but there would be additional tabs if that was the case. I do not believe that car came from Dan with any intention to run T/D or be set up for a wing.
Shawn,
I have talked to Eddie a couple of times trying to find out more about the car, but other than paint it, he didn't make any changes. Is it possible to contact Ronnie Vnuk? Is he a member here? I'd like to find out more about the car from him.
Thanks,
Reagan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -