Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Start a Team 101

How to Start a Team 101

This may sound nuts, but I have a serious inquiry. I am looking into the possiblity of buying/starting an independent Nationwide team, but really don't know where to begin. I've done a bit of research and it looks like I could acquire a car for around 20-50K. In addition to the car and some sort of hauler, what else would I need and what would the estimated costs look like?

Garage: Own or Rent? Where should it be located? Estimated cost?
    Pit Crew: How many needed? Are they FT or PT employees generally? Pay?
    Application/Registration/Sign-Up: How do you actually enter a race? Fees?

I'm sure there are a ton of other things I'm missing, but hoping someone out there knows about this would be willing to provide some of the info.

Thanks much in advance for the info. Again, I know this sound a bit crazy given the current enviroment, but it is something I want to pursue, so serious responses would be greatly appreciated.

JP

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE THERATTLER's Avatar
    what kind of racing are you talking about?? I don't know what a Nationwide team is,,,any kind of PRO team at any kind of racing without corporate sponsership you had better have a couple million in your pocket , that will get you through a couple of races :?
    ***IN GOD WE TRUST***GOD BLESS AMERICA******

Hey, thanks for the quick response.

I'm sobered up by those numbers, but not easily discouraged :wink:

NASCAR Nationwide Series: http://www.nascar.com/races/bg/
    (like I said, I'm possibly crazy...)

Sponsorship is definitely part of the plan, but trying to get an idea of base start-up costs for equipment and staffing. What have you considered in the 2M estimate? You mention that would get me through 2 races, so the expendables (tires, engines, etc.) are part of that. What else? Are there huge fees just to get the car on the track to qualify?

Thanks again!
    JP

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE fla1976's Avatar

Race Team

Here is a post from another site.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...2184301AA9MnTU

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE TheYellaBrick's Avatar
    The absolute best thing you can do is, work on an local racing team for one season, as in 12 months. It's a whole lot more than the average non car racing person really thinks...........ANY racing team lives on MONEY first and personel second. Try owning a local stock car racing team first to 'get your feet wet'....... and open your eyes to the real world. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
    TRUTH is HATE
    to those who
    HATE TRUTH

God Bless our folks in uniform
    "We the People, have your backs"
    http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/279898

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    You might look into ARCA, ASA, NASCAR Trucks or something along those lines before jumping into Nationwide.

Not going in with my eyes closed, but do appreciate that I have much to learn. I'm a dedicated fan, so I love the sport, but I realize watching and doing are two very different things. Thanks for the feedback and advice!

Quote Originally Posted by DrivingMissDD
    The absolute best thing you can do is, work on an local racing team for one season, as in 12 months. It's a whole lot more than the average non car racing person really thinks...........ANY racing team lives on MONEY first and personel second. Try owning a local stock car racing team first to 'get your feet wet'....... and open your eyes to the real world. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by slowmotion
    You might look into ARCA, ASA, NASCAR Trucks or something along those lines before jumping into Nationwide.
    Thanks for the info. Was just looking at the ARCA site and will check into ASA. NASCAR Trucks would be great, but wondering if that's going to require a similar investment as Nationwide. Appreciate your feedback and info!

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    if you're going to do the series or just a few regional races, the best bet might be to check out a few of the smaller non-funded teams. they can tell you more about the costs of starting and maintaining the team. if you can get a good local sponser it will make it a little less expensive. remember, it's better to start out at the local level and do good than try to go big all at once.

Quote Originally Posted by sds10racer
    if you're going to do the series or just a few regional races, the best bet might be to check out a few of the smaller non-funded teams. they can tell you more about the costs of starting and maintaining the team. if you can get a good local sponser it will make it a little less expensive. remember, it's better to start out at the local level and do good than try to go big all at once.
    @sds10racer - thanks much for the advice and information. I posted this inquiry on another board and someone suggested Arena Racing as a good place to start. Looks like fun, but not sure if it's going to gain any real momentum.

Any ideas on how I might locate a smaller, non-funded team? Should I just go to a local/nearby track and start asking around or is there some sort of online community or website that teams tend to frequent?

Thanks again.
    JP