Wheel spacers???

Old 09-29-2009, 07:18 AM
bluegrassjh
SENIOR BUILDER

Default Wheel spacers???

I'm new to this kind of thing. But my question should be a good one. I have a high performance Mustang (nowhere near stock) and was wondering if wheel spacers on the rear wheels would hurt anything. I need to push these wheels out an inch or so. But I'm afraid with as much torque as I put down it would rip em off. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:39 AM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

As long as you have adequate studs (length and strength) you will not have a problem,

Jegs billet wheel spacers, 5 lug 4.25/4.50/4.75 pattern
555-65053 3/4" thick = $68 pair
555-65054 1" thick = $73 pair

Dave
Old 09-29-2009, 08:56 AM
bluegrassjh
SENIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by oldandtired
As long as you have adequate studs (length and strength) you will not have a problem
Thanks..have you done this before? I'd hate to chew a wheel off in the middle of a burnout.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:36 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

What you have to be careful of is exceeding the clamping force of your wheel studs. My roadster had been run for years before I got it with 1" wheel spacers and 1/2" studs. Light car and only running 6.40s-6.60s in the 1/8th.

I didn't feel comfortable with that setup so I got new wheels that didn't need the spacer. The problem to me is figuring out how much clamping force you have to have with the weight of your car, size of your tire and torque on the rearend, relating to the spacer and wheel stud involved.

Curtis
Old 09-30-2009, 07:14 AM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by doorracer
What you have to be careful of is exceeding the clamping force of your wheel studs. My roadster had been run for years before I got it with 1" wheel spacers and 1/2" studs. Light car and only running 6.40s-6.60s in the 1/8th.

I didn't feel comfortable with that setup so I got new wheels that didn't need the spacer. The problem to me is figuring out how much clamping force you have to have with the weight of your car, size of your tire and torque on the rearend, relating to the spacer and wheel stud involved.

Curtis
x2. Absolutely cannot run spacers with press in studs. If you have aftermarket axles, you probably have 1/2" fine thread screw in studs.
Also make sure you have the longest shank (lug nut) your rim will allow.
Dave
Old 09-30-2009, 04:44 PM
I972Nova
EXPERT BUILDER

I ran spacers on my dragster for a season. (good deal on wheels) It ran 5.20's and I didnt have any issues. They looked the same when I took them off as when I put them on...
Old 10-01-2009, 12:48 PM
FullTimeRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

i have a 1/4 inch spacer on one side with 3" studs no problem
Old 10-02-2009, 09:28 AM
bluegrassjh
SENIOR BUILDER

I'm pretty sure the axles are factory. It's had a .373 posi installed, but I think the axles are original. Mine is more of a family fun car than anything, but I'll give her hell when I'm by myself. I'd hate to damage something (studs) and find out the hard way on a family cruise. I think I'll stay away from spacers and find some that fit. Thanx for the input.