69 Camaro: RS/Lights & covers

Old 09-25-2009, 03:06 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Default 69 Camaro: RS/Lights & covers

Question:

I have seen a few 1st Generation Camaro's (usually drag cars) that have RS Grills & the headlight covers, but not be true retractable/hideaway headlights.... somehow people have installed just the covers on the lights/assemblies to look that way. I have the RS grill on a 69, but do not have retractable headlights & do not want them... but I want the "look" of an RS front end.

Has anyone tried this & what parts did they get & how did they do it exactly??? Help appreciated. Scooter
Old 09-25-2009, 07:57 PM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

Ok let me get this straight. You want the look of the hideaway headlights but you dont want them actually?

If you want the look they might have just gotten the actual hideaways and made a mount for them so that they will stay but when it was dark they could just take them off.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:03 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

What I want is the hideaway look (Grill, covers, etc..) but I do not want the hassle & expense of an electric or vacuum complete kit... which is well over a grand. I have seen guys do this one some 69's, but not sure how they set it up... like if they could be removed, & re-installed quickly. To date, have not seen a kit that does this... so I will have to make it myself. Chip Foose makes an awesome billet grill, but it must utilize the entire hideaway kit that I don't want. I have seen a few drag cars that run w/ a RS front end w/o the whole kit involved... reduce weight, wiring, hassle, etc... but has the whole evil RS sinister look. Know what I am sayin' Dirk/Diggler?
Old 10-05-2009, 03:14 PM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

Yeah I get what you are saying. I will do some research and get back with ya. If I am thinking right you could get the hideaway headlight doors that go over the headlights and make a mount for them so they will be easily removed and installed. Maybe just a clip on/off type of deal.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:29 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Precisely my friend.

I probably just sound cheap; but this is a pro street car that will never retain it's classic nature to warrant the full system which in my humble opinion is a PITA. I just want "the look". Someone somewhere has done this before!! I cannot be the only one. Thanks brutha. Scoot

PS: I will buy the Year One covers/assembly soon, but will probably not buy what they call "barn doors" & the new head-light housing assembly. Know what I mean?
Old 10-05-2009, 04:36 PM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Rigsby
Precisely my friend.

I probably just sound cheap; but this is a pro street car that will never retain it's classic nature to warrant the full system which in my humble opinion is a PITA. I just want "the look". Someone somewhere has done this before!! I cannot be the only one. Thanks brutha. Scoot

PS: I will buy the Year One covers/assembly soon, but will probably not buy what they call "barn doors" & the new head-light housing assembly. Know what I mean?
You got me a lil confused on this.

So far all I am seeing is complete kits to transfer over to the hideaway lights thats electric and not vacuum operated. But they all want over 1,000 bucks for it.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:03 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Dirk-

That is correct. I do not want the full kit which is vacuum or electric. I must be creative to retain the original headlight assembly for a sport-coupe & yet have it all RS from the outside... Dig?? I have the RS grill on her, getting RS covers/lenses, but they will be fixed covers. I saw a bitchin' 69 Camaro drag car that had a RS grill & the covers just like the RS should look from the front... but he told me he mounted the covers so it was a "look alike" ... you w/ me Dirk Diggler? I know I am not the only one to do this endeavor.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:19 PM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

I am with you 100% Scooter. Let me see what I can come up with and I will let you know.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:25 PM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

Scooter......

Here is a site that has just the covers themselves. I am thinking that the mount will have to be made so you will be able to take them off and put them without it actually working thru vaccuum or electric. Here si the site........

http://www.rickscamaros.com/dept.asp...d=3575&level=2

http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/f...hid=820AF12024

Here is a site that has Billet ones. It also has a few more Billet accessories for Camaros and other cars. I think they are kinda pricey but I dont know............

http://www.feslerbuilt.com/fesler_billet.htm

I will add more sites to this post as I find them.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:23 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Diggler: I am diggin' the billet ones... thanks for the links!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -