Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: how to build a strong th350

how to build a strong th350

Anyone have any good sites or suggestions on how to build a strong th350?

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    You dont, u get a th400! lol

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE DirkaDirka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kwkracing
    You dont, u get a th400! lol
    From just reading what everybody has been saying about the TH350's I am with kwkracing. From what I can tell the TH350 wont hold up to the horsepower like a TH400 can. IMO
    Its all fun and games till someone loses a nut!

http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/400466

the weak spot in the th350 is the sprag assembly if you build or have it build make sure you go with the best aftermarket one you can buy. money well spent!

Quote Originally Posted by MEMRACING62
    the weak spot in the th350 is the sprag assembly if you build or have it build make sure you go with the best aftermarket one you can buy. money well spent!
    X10,000

My buddy has gone thru more than a couple of them buggers on his th350, he got the best of everything in that department and it still tears up.
    I'd get a th400 or better yet, a powerglide.

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR

use all th400 parts and save the money you would be wasting

The trick is to start with a turbo 400 case, then assemble it with the parts that fit in the case. This is the most durable 3 speed trans that GM makes.
    A 350 is best left to the hot rod / car show / show car wana bees
    However, for thousands of dollars, there are several trans shops that will make a 350 as strong as a stock $200 dollar 400.
    Bruce

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    Quote Originally Posted by MEMRACING62
    I ran one years ago in my low 11 second bracket Nova and the intermmediate sprag is the weak link. High gear only burnouts made it last much longer. I usually carried a spare direct drum/sprag asm just in case. Finally went with a glide 15 years ago and am still running it in my 8 sec Vette roadster........
    Johnny

ive been running the one in my Monte for 11 years now with a 4000 stall running 7.70 in the 1/8th and for the last year with a 100 shot of nitrous and its still together and its basically all stock inside . I like the tranny , its light and I like the gearing. Its time for a rebuild and if it held up at the dragstrip for this long im sure if I upgrade to some better parts Ill still get use out of it for a long time. Thanks for the recomendation on the sprag.

Purple...sometimes things unexplainable just happen. You have had some incredible luck with what you have. I would be almost afraid to touch that thing. You know how it works with performance parts, just when it is supposed to make something better......well, I think we all have been there and done that.

ive been running the one in my Monte for 11 years now with a 4000 stall running 7.70 in the 1/8th and for the last year with a 100 shot of nitrous and its still together and its basically all stock inside . I like the tranny , its light and I like the gearing. Its time for a rebuild and if it held up at the dragstrip for this long im sure if I upgrade to some better parts Ill still get use out of it for a long time. Thanks for the recomendation on the sprag.
    Maybe your tranny is slipping too, a 7.70?