cooling 400 cu in SBC

Old 09-18-2009, 09:43 PM
chevyart
MASTER BUILDER

Default cooling 400 cu in SBC

anybody ever use this trick to cool a 400 cu in sbc. tap holes into the sides of the waterpumpaaaa9preferably an electric one and run the lines to each side of the block wherer the drain petcock goes on the fasctory tapped hole.. i know of the other ways on the intake manifold and using the thermostat housing and lines to the sides of the heads, but i am not sure of the method i talked about above. would like to ,know if this way is worth the effort thanks chevy art
Old 09-18-2009, 11:12 PM
suicidebomb
RACING JUNKIE

The drain holes on my factory 400 block are tapped, and there are plugs installed, but they are blind holes. They're not drilled thru to the water jacket. I've always thought that was a little strange.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:31 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

just sitting here thinking about it i cannot see how it would cool any Better. Maybe someone could come along and convince us with some proof.......

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 09-19-2009, 06:38 AM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

Default SBC 400

Can't see how that would help cool more efficiently. I would try a larger aluminum radiator if the system was insufficient. JMO.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:28 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

I concur...

How exactly is putting water into two very small holes at the bottom sides going to be better than putting water into the big holes in the front of the block?

Here's an article you might find interesting... Old, but still applicable.

http://www.stewartcomponents.com/tec...ech_Tips_6.htm
Old 09-19-2009, 08:56 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

I have seen where people run water lines to the heads where the two exaust ports are together to aid in cooling the head and keep it from having a hot spot. I think this is more of a dirt track or asphalt thing though because of the run time. Might be something that could help on a nitrous motor to keep down detonation?

Curtis
Old 09-19-2009, 02:28 PM
etchison
CRAFTSMAN

put it on alcohol my opinion!
Old 09-19-2009, 08:12 PM
chevyart
MASTER BUILDER

Default cooling 4oo sbc

hey onebadGMC the water from the sides of the water pump would be in addition to what is being pumped into the front of the block, but i really dont know if it really does any good. that is why i was askingyou guys are probably right in that this really doesnt seem like it would get enough water to this area to make the job worth while. i will not consider this option. any other cooling tricks or suggestions would be appreciateed thanks chevy art
Old 09-20-2009, 01:02 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: cooling 4oo sbc

Originally Posted by chevyart
hey onebadGMC the water from the sides of the water pump would be in addition to what is being pumped into the front of the block, but i really dont know if it really does any good. that is why i was askingyou guys are probably right in that this really doesnt seem like it would get enough water to this area to make the job worth while. i will not consider this option. any other cooling tricks or suggestions would be appreciateed thanks chevy art
Those holes are either 1/8" or 1/4" pipe. You couldn't put enough volume through those holes to make a difference.

We can't give you any suggestions without knowing the specs and application of the motor. More information is better than less.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:27 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I seen in a magazine years ago something about this...but I think it was around the head or something...it was an OPEN WHEEL magazine and was a Sprint car engine(runs on methanol) can't remember the reason. I have had a couple of 11 to 1 cr 400's in street driven cars and neither ran hotter than 180.Never ran high compression though....In my opinion there is a myth about 400's running hot.. jmo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -