Intake help, old style heads

Old 09-07-2009, 07:49 AM
jjam
CRAFTSMAN

Default Intake help, old style heads

I have a BBC with old style heads they have the "upper Mounting holes" on the heads. The last intake I just took off had these holes in the intake, but I want to get a better intake. Will the newer style intakes work, I see most of the intakes don't have the "Upper Mounting Holes" on the intake.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:22 AM
TS1955
DYNO OPERATOR

Yes, they will work. You have to use a 1275 Fel-pro gasket to fit the intake. Then, on the head, I took a 3/8 set screw (with thread sealant on them to hold them in place from going on down in the head) and run it down just below the surface. Then fill the rest of the hole up with silicone until it's level with the surface of the head and let it dry. After the silicone dries, put the intake on like you normally would. That's how I've done then in the past.

TS1955
Old 09-07-2009, 11:18 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Easier and better...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-9300/

Best stuff you'll ever come across for gaskets. As long as the ports line up, you don't have to worry about anything else when using that stuff.

It's like a rubber cement. Apply it to head, and gasket, let it tack up for about 10 minutes, and install it with a rubber mallet.

Put it on the intake and intake side of the gasket, let it set up, bolt the intake on. If you have ANY leak after doing that, there's a MAJOR issue with your head or intake.

I blew out an entire set of intake gaskets with RTV on them at 33 PSI of boost... Put that stuff on, and no more issues.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:32 AM
TS1955
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by OneBadGMC
Easier and better...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-9300/

Best stuff you'll ever come across for gaskets. As long as the ports line up, you don't have to worry about anything else when using that stuff.

It's like a rubber cement. Apply it to head, and gasket, let it tack up for about 10 minutes, and install it with a rubber mallet.

Put it on the intake and intake side of the gasket, let it set up, bolt the intake on. If you have ANY leak after doing that, there's a MAJOR issue with your head or intake.

I blew out an entire set of intake gaskets with RTV on them at 33 PSI of boost... Put that stuff on, and no more issues.
That stuff works, but you still have to contend with mismatch between the upper intake bolt holes of the head and the gasket because you have to use the 1275 Fel-pro gasket which doesn't have the upper bolt holes.

TS1955