Anybody using 1/8" round bar to to fill your drip rail

Old 08-30-2009, 07:44 PM
morrise55
SHOW GUEST

Default Anybody using 1/8" round bar to to fill your drip rail

Has anyody ever used 1/8" round bar when replacing your drip rails. I've seen other post on other websites but no one ever gives a clear cut answer on how its done. Do you form the rod and remove the entire drip rail in one cut? Or, do you tack weld the rod as you go? If anyone as pictures that would be great. If anybody has a how-to of how to complete this that would be great!
Old 08-30-2009, 07:54 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I did this on a 53 Ford truck that we chopped the top on. We used I think 1/4" round rod. I tach welded it as I went so I could bend it tightly around the top. Then I welded a litle at a time until it was solid all the way around(slowly obviously to prevent heat build up) then used a grinder to smooth it out. Our drip rail was pitted but most of it was solid so it stayed but was ground on pretty heavy, then mud over it.

I wouldn't advise cutting the drip rail off all at once the top could seperate I would think. I have pics of the top chop but none of the drip rail in there.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:55 PM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

OK what do you mean by drip rails??
Old 08-30-2009, 07:59 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

This is the top chop My dad and I did... It was a good father son project. We also channeled the cab about 6"

I never did finish the truck. maybe one of these days.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...lbumId=1952973
Old 08-30-2009, 08:05 PM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Tod74
I did this on a 53 Ford truck that we chopped the top on. We used I think 1/4" round rod. I tach welded it as I went so I could bend it tightly around the top. Then I welded a litle at a time until it was solid all the way around(slowly obviously to prevent heat build up) then used a grinder to smooth it out. Our drip rail was pitted but most of it was solid so it stayed but was ground on pretty heavy, then mud over it.

I wouldn't advise cutting the drip rail off all at once the top could seperate I would think. I have pics of the top chop but none of the drip rail in there.
Tod you are right on that point. I was having a brain fart as to what the drip rails were. You can however cut off the drip rails but not all at once. The drip rails is where they mate the top with the side for just a portion of the roof. As the drip rail curves down it goes from the top to the area behind the door. My uncle and I have cut off a few drip rails on a few shows cars we did.