388 sbc metal in oil

Old 08-16-2009, 05:52 PM
jaxsmith
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default 388 sbc metal in oil

new rebuild on old engine, used new eagle crank and rods. Last weekend couldnt ask for a better ride 6.60's all night to finals. Won the money loaded on trailer. Stepped the jets on carb down 2 (front) because it was to rich and headed back to track. Now car runs 190 degrees after pass was 165 and runs 6.80's. Loaded up and headed home after chaning jets back to old setting. Drained oil today and found small amount of "paste looking metal on plug with 2 larger pieces. Only problem with build was the rods had .015 side clearance at assembly. I have always considered that to be the minimum on sbc. What works for you? I will know more about whats wrong when i get it out and get the covers off. 10 passes on this engine!
Old 08-16-2009, 06:59 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Cut the filter apart and look for bearing material. Could be some assembly lube goo and small amount of metalic from the break in.....Did you change the oil after you got it running the first time?
I would cut the filter apart before getting too excited, but better safe than sorry.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:03 AM
supergass
JUNIOR BUILDER

I think you are fine, even with the rod clearance. I am sure that the rods isnt causing any metal in the oil. Those magnetic plugs do that same thing on my stuff too. It would be REAL noticeable if you had a problem.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:18 PM
jaxsmith
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

It was a problem, 1st sign of trouble .20 slower> After looking at the metal rolling out of the pan with the oil I pulled the engine. 3 spun mains and just dropped a new block off at the machine shop. :cry: