BBC 496 BUILD

Old 08-13-2009, 02:04 PM
rapedape
APPRENTICE

Default BBC 496 BUILD

HI GUYS! FIRST OFF THANKS FOR THE ADVICE, I REALLY NEED SOME :lol: I HAVE A 454 OUT OF A 2000 CHEVY TRUCK CASTING 10237297 I WAS THINKING OF GOING WITH A 496 BUILD DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THESE BLOCKS?? WILL THIS BE A GOOD BLOCK TO USE. ITS GOING INTO A STREET CAR BUT I'M LOOKING TO GET ANYTHING IN THE 500 HP ++ RANGE IF POSSIBLE?? IF SO DO ANYONE HAVE ANY PARTS RECONMENDATIONS. ALSO I WANT TO GO WITH SOME AFTERMARKET HEADS. ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED GREATLY THANKS!!!
Old 08-13-2009, 02:31 PM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=103118

If all you want is 500 HP, I'd save the money and leave it a 4" stroke.

They were cranking out 500HP BBCs in the 60s from the factory.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:38 PM
ashbros
RACING JUNKIE

Looks like we have someone just beginning to start dreaming about 500 HP.

If he goes to the track once or twice, he'll change his mind.....

To answer your question regarding a 500 hp build, yeah, that block will be just fine.

Do us all a favor though, Throw a blower on it.

By the way could you fill me in on the user name. How did you end up with that one?
Old 08-14-2009, 07:09 AM
nofear57
EXPERT BUILDER

Blowers are way cool on the street 8)
My stock 1969 427 with lowered comp.(7.6) and mild blower cam is more than enough for the street.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:24 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Well yeah, they are, but lets face it, he doesn't need a blower to make 500 HP with a 454.

A 10:1 motor with the right cam and a set of Dart 275 Oval Ports will make 500 HP. That will also be a heck of a lot cheaper than a blower setup.

If he wanted to plan for the future with just a cam change, I'd buy the Pro1 310CC heads.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DRT-19100112/
Old 08-14-2009, 08:31 AM
rapedape
APPRENTICE

THANKS FOR THE HELP WELL I REALLY FEEL STUPID NOW?? I'M NOT DREAMING ABOUT THE 500 HP RANGE ITS THAT I'M TRYING TO BUILD A BAD ASS STREET CAR. IM A TECH BY TRADE BUT NOT A RACE ENGINE BUILDER. SO I TURN TO THE EXPERTS ( YOU GUYS). SO I GUESS WITH THAT BEING SAID HOW DO A GUY (MYSELF) GO ABOUT BUILDING A BAD AZZ STREET CAR THAT CAN SHREAD THE TIRES AT THE LOCAL CAR SHOWS AND STILL HAVE IT STREETABLE. I'M WORKING WITH A 496 BBC I JUST PURCHASED THE EAGLES ROTATING ASSEMBLY TODAY, SO I WILL BEING SHOPPING FOR A TOP END NEXT. ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPERCIATED.!! AND FOR THE NAME YOU WOULD BELEIVE IT IF I TOLD YOU :twisted:
Old 08-14-2009, 08:50 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

http://www.themotorbookstore.com/hotohobich39.html

Good reading there. Most of the information regarding cams and heads is dated, but it has the core fundamentals.

http://www.themotorbookstore.com/1557884927.html

I don't have that second book, but it was published in 2006, so it probably has more current information relating to cam/heads.

http://www.rehermorrison.com/rmEngineBook.htm

The Reher Morrison book is an awesome reference and worth every penny.

Keep in mind that you're going to need some specific tools to check tolerances when building the motor.

Inside mics for main/rod bearings and piston pins. Outside mics for main/rod bearings, and piston pins. Ring filer. Ring compression tool to insert the piston assembly into the block. Piston top dead center tool. Camshaft degree wheel. Dial indicator and stand with magnetic base. Adjustable length push rods. "Test" valve springs to easily check piston to valve clearance.

Some people use plasti gauge to check main/rod clearances. I never have trusted the stuff.

I'm sure there's more that have slipped my mind.

Keep in mind that building a 500 HP motor doesn't mean the car will be fast. If you can't get the power to the ground you're just going to have another over horse powered slug.

By the way. Is your keyboard broke? The caps lock button seems to be stuck on.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:10 AM
rapedape
APPRENTICE

Yea I know. Thanks. This isn't my first engine build but it is my first BBC build I know getting the power to the ground is going to be a chore. In your best opinion, what would you consider streetable hp and tq. The trans is a turbo 400 which I will have built to whatever hp rating for the engine. The rearend will also have to be rebuilt also. This is a project so I know it will not be done overnight. Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:48 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by rapedape
Yea I know. Thanks. This isn't my first engine build but it is my first BBC build I know getting the power to the ground is going to be a chore. In your best opinion, what would you consider streetable hp and tq. The trans is a turbo 400 which I will have built to whatever hp rating for the engine. The rearend will also have to be rebuilt also. This is a project so I know it will not be done overnight. Any info will be greatly appreciated.
That's a fully subjective question which I can't answer because I don't know you.

I consider 1500 HP streetable, but that's me, not you.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:57 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

I'll chime in:

About 500 or 600hp would be a about as much as you'd need for a street car, anymore than that and your bordering on it being a racecar IMO.

Getting 500 or 600 Hp to hook up is gonna be probelm unless your narrowing and tubbing it out for some wider tires, cooling is gonna be another concern.

I don't know what rearend you got in there but if your going with a big iron, you need to upgrade to either a 12 bolt, 9 inch, or dana 60 housing.

10 bolts are for small blocks period.

That TH400 you got already should handle the chores of shifting with only minimal upgrades.
JMO>Cp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -