Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TIMING ? AGAIN

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR

TIMING ? AGAIN

MY DIST.IS LOCKED OUT TIMING IS AT 34*,YESTERDAY I ADVANCED IT TO 36* AND NOW IT HAS A MISS FROM ABOUT 3000 ON UP WHILE REVING IT IN PARK,MOVED IT BACK TO 34* AND IT SEEMS TO BE FINE.
    WITH TIMING AT 34* WHERE WOULD THE ROTOR BUTTON BE POINTING WHEN #1 PISTON WAS AT TDC AND TIMING MARK AT 0.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE

Re: TIMING ? AGAIN

Quote Originally Posted by JEFF69Z28
    MY DIST.IS LOCKED OUT TIMING IS AT 34*,YESTERDAY I ADVANCED IT TO 36* AND NOW IT HAS A MISS FROM ABOUT 3000 ON UP WHILE REVING IT IN PARK,MOVED IT BACK TO 34* AND IT SEEMS TO BE FINE.
    WITH TIMING AT 34* WHERE WOULD THE ROTOR BUTTON BE POINTING WHEN #1 PISTON WAS AT TDC AND TIMING MARK AT 0.
    Is this a trick question?

It'd be pointing 34 degrees before the #1 plug in the cap.
    -WJ Birmingham

OneBadGMC.com

Re: TIMING ? AGAIN

Quote Originally Posted by OneBadGMC
    Quote Originally Posted by JEFF69Z28
    Is this a trick question?

It'd be pointing 34 degrees before the #1 plug in the cap.
    DUMB QUESTION I KNOW.\
    I CANT GET NO MORE THAN 34* TIMING .IF I LOCK IT DOWN AT 36 IT RUNS ROUGH WHEN I REV IT.IF MY DIST WAS IN 180* OUT WOULD THIS CAUSE THE PROBLEM?

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE DirkaDirka's Avatar
    I dont think you would even have a smooth idle if your dist was 180* out. I had a dist 180* out and had a very rough idle. But that was also on a Jeep Wrangler not a race car so I could be wrong too. JMO
    Its all fun and games till someone loses a nut!

http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/400466

Member JUNIOR BUILDER
    are you running crank triger ? if so there is more to it that turning dist.

I have never seen one get to 3000 rpm, that was 180 out.

NO CRANK TRIGGER.
    34* IT HAS JUST ALITTLE MISS.UNDER NO LOAD.
    36* IT RUNS ROUGH FROM 3000 THRU 5000.UNDER NO LOAD.
    I GUESS WHAT IM ASKING IS COULD I HAVE BEEN OF A TOOTH OR SO OFF WHEN I PUT THE DIST.BACK IN AFTER I LOCKED IT OUT?I PUT IT BACK WHERE IT WAS OR I THOUGHT I DID.I WOULD LIKE TO TAKE IT OUT AND REINSTALL IT.TO DO SO WOULD I GET NUMBER 1 TO TDC(0) AND THE MOVE THE BALANCER TO 34* THEN DROP THE DIST BACK IN MAKING SURE THE ROTOR IS POINTING TO THE NUMBER ONE PISTON.

It doesn't matter where it's pointing, so long as you can get the cap orientated where #1 is #1.

Standard, as I was taught, is to try and point the rotor at #1 when it's on #1.

In reality, the thing can be pointing at #5, so long as #1 is in the #5 position on the cap.

Know what I'm saying???

You've also not given us enough information on the motor. Alky/gas? Compression? Spark Plug Gap? N/A? Nitrous? Blower/Turbo? What ignition system? Mechanical Advance? Vacuum advance?
    -WJ Birmingham

OneBadGMC.com

Quote Originally Posted by OneBadGMC
    It doesn't matter where it's pointing, so long as you can get the cap orientated where #1 is #1.

Standard, as I was taught, is to try and point the rotor at #1 when it's on #1.

In reality, the thing can be pointing at #5, so long as #1 is in the #5 position on the cap.

Know what I'm saying???

You've also not given us enough information on the motor. Alky/gas? Compression? Spark Plug Gap? N/A? Nitrous? Blower/Turbo? What ignition system? Mechanical Advance? Vacuum advance?
    GAS MOTOR,11.5 COMP,45 GAP,NO POWER ADDERS,MSD 85551 DIST.MSD BLASTER SS COIL,MSD 6AL2 BOX,DIST.IS LOCKED OUT.

is the blancer on the money,if it is a two peice it can slide,just a thought.

or a valve to tight?
    Full Time Racing,WASTED $$ division

http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/281924

Be a Fan of Full Time Racing on facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/FULL-T...G/177402183154