Thread: sbc timing?

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER

sbc timing?

I have a friend that seems to have all the answers :shock: and does not time his engine with a timing light he does it by ear :lol: I was just wondering what he was leaving on the table? thanks in advance.

Administrator RACING JUNKIE bjuice's Avatar
    if its a street engine ..probably nothing...thats the way we use to set the timing back in the day..turn the timing up until it spark knocked then back it off a tad and lock her down.

if its a Race engine he could be missing a lot..these need to be on the Money for optimal performance..
    Bjuice..

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    Quote Originally Posted by bjuice
    if its a street engine ..probably nothing...thats the way we use to set the timing back in the day..turn the timing up until it spark knocked then back it off a tad and lock her down.

if its a Race engine he could be missing a lot..these need to be on the Money for optimal performance..
    + if you take it apart dose it sound the same,mine just loud.

set it by ear then see were your at with a light so you know.JMO
    Full Time Racing,WASTED $$ division

http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/281924

Be a Fan of Full Time Racing on facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/FULL-T...G/177402183154

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Actually, you can set it by looking at the plugs... A deaf guy could do it.
    -WJ Birmingham

OneBadGMC.com

When i first got to injected cars, i watched a guy assembly the front drive, flow some air threw the top hat and adjust the barrel valve, fire the new motor, move the timing by ear and done..... I didnt believe at the time he had the timing set by ear to what he said it was.... i checked it with a light and dead on.

Quote Originally Posted by bjuice

DID it that way for years on my street car. Set it with a light to "correct" and slowed down.

We used to set the timing on street cars by riding on the fender with car in first gear. The driver would advise the RPM and you could definately feel the sweet spot.
    Dave
    Dave
    http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/343797
    "All that is necessary for the triump of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    Hey guys another ? about this timing thing, I'm not a Bad A*s Mech. but I can figure a few things out. But I always ask when in dout of something of this magnitude because timing is very Important, so let me ask this. if you were to set your timing @ 44 or 48 by mistake and it was perfect @38. would this cause severe engine damage or would the engine just not run right. Now I always use a light but I'm just curious what would happen. I know back in the olden days it was that if your timing was advanced to much it would run hot and have a draging on your starter when trying to start it after it heated up. and this was just on our steet cars with points and condensers
    it was like you new you were to advanced to much so we would just back it off till it started when Hot and everything was ok, to make the ? simple what would happen if you advance your timing to much.
    Thanks Andy

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    pre ignition ( the ping) would hurt power and motor.

go to far and the motor will stall.

But I could be worng!
    Full Time Racing,WASTED $$ division

http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/281924

Be a Fan of Full Time Racing on facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/FULL-T...G/177402183154