Thread: 383 sbc timing

383 sbc timing

just want to know what kind of timing you guys running on your sbc just want to know what's working for you guys thanks.

41 DEG

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    Piston design and spark plug location will have a lot to do with how much spark lead a motor needs.A long time ago I had a 292 ci sbc with big dome pistons and gm strait plug heads,that motor liked 50 to 52 deg.on 260 sunoco pump gas.Now I have a 412 ci sbc flat top pistons 18 deg head that likes 30 to 32 deg. with vp c12.Just some things I've seen with timing.Bill.

i'm running 36deg but someone told me to try 40 deg, i just thought that was too much. i have a 13 to 1 383 motor with pro action heads and was just woundering if anyone was running that much timing in there small blocks.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    If it has aftermarket heads ask the head manufacturer what they recomend...I've always heard that the chamber design along with the piston shape had a lot to do with how much timing it would like.

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    I have 350 wit brodix T1's 13to1 set at 38*

it runs good so I just leave it alone
    Full Time Racing,WASTED $$ division

http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/281924

Be a Fan of Full Time Racing on facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/FULL-T...G/177402183154

i'm going to take the car out thursday if the weather is good and try 38* and 40* to see if the motor likes it or not. the car have been 11.07 @ 120 with 36* timing in it so i'll let you guys know how it runs.