Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: dart little M oil restrickers?

Member CRAFTSMAN

dart little M oil restrickers?

just had major problem (#4 rod though oilpan) engine bluilder didnot restrick oil in my 434. motor had 18 runs. all good parts. coated bearings. pretty much said it was my fault for not hearing a noise the run before. the two time runs that morning 9.103 and 9.100 @ 147. i motor sounded good to me. thats why i drove 400 miles round trip and paid 300 enrty fee

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    I never run oil restrictors. I used to but I haven't in a long time. I see no benefit in starving the valve train of oil. I know why people do it, to keep more oil available for the bottom end, but I think restricting oil to the top is bad idea.ESPECIALLY with roller lifters. Sorry about your motor I've been there it sucks.

ONLY MY OPINION.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Dark Little M has primary oiling to the mains, they recommend that you donot run oil restrictors with that blk. If i were a betting person i would say you had other issues to lose a rod. IE wrong clearance, not good rod bolts. I don't know what kind of clearance you had but i always run .0025/.003 rods and mains and the best rod bolts available L19 bolts only. A lot of engine builders use the std. 8740 rod bolt that come with most rods, big mistake in my opinion, especially on a high dollar race motor.

JMO

Zip.

Member CRAFTSMAN
    let me ask this my #12 fitting for my vaccum pump is on top of my valve cover over my # 5 intake rocker if i hit the breaks to hard i will pull over 1 1/2 qt of oil out of engine. sound to me like valve covers are filled with oil at the finish line. heads are afr 227 cnc 23* had the oil drain backs opened up bigger. only change on last rebluid that and a bulliet oil pump

I have two thoughts, The coated brearings DO ADD to the overall measurement even tho they say they dont in some of there literature. Clevite bearings have worked for years, there still good now too. Another thing is on the Dart blocks you must hone the lifter bores to get the proper clearance. If you dont then when the heat comes they will seize the lifters in the bore and hold the valve open and then kill it. I would think that it wouldnt be your problem with several passes already on your motor.

After I re-read I guess you didnt have alot of passes on the motor. COated bearings killed a friends motor because he made the mistake of not re-measuring the clearance and they were too tight. Destroyed a new Lunati Crank new oliver rods destroyed the block the cam everything. In just a couple of passes too.

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER

Re: dart little M oil restrickers?

Quote Originally Posted by etchison
    just had major problem (#4 rod though oilpan) engine bluilder didnot restrick oil in my 434. motor had 18 runs. all good parts. coated bearings. pretty much said it was my fault for not hearing a noise the run before. the two time runs that morning 9.103 and 9.100 @ 147. i motor sounded good to me. thats why i drove 400 miles round trip and paid 300 enrty fee
    Was it a bearing issue or did the rod just fail??
    WWW.CNCBLOCKSNE.COM
    IS A DIVISION OF
    HINKSON AUTOMOTIVE
    RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT

CARL HINKSON 207-892-7215
    EMAIL CHINKSON@JUNO.COM

Member CRAFTSMAN
    it was a oiling issue at some point during the run the mains where going dry. before this rebuild i had 336 runs on motor changed pans and billiet pump and now have problems

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    What pump and pan was on this motor? How many quarts of oil?

Member CRAFTSMAN
    stefs alum 7 qt pan melling select oil pump 10050-750ss.