Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: which street mufflers

which street mufflers

just trying to get an opinion on which mufflers to run on my 509 bbc for the STREET. looking for a nice but not obnoxious sound both in and outside. also any opinions on using either a x or h pipe. have a 4 link so not sure if i can get the exhaust all the way out the back. the car is a 69 chevelle with 33-22-15 and sits pretty low. thanks frank

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    h pipe was popular years ago, now the choice goes to x pipe.fortunatly you can have your cake and eat it too.they sell a x pipe with side outs that you can open for the open headers roar at the track,then cork em up and drive on the street.

look in jegs

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE DirkaDirka's Avatar
    As far as mufflers I have always liked the way flowmasters have sounded. Depending on with one you get would depend on how they sound. To me they have a nice clean mellow tone until you open the throttle wide open. But this is just my opinion.
    Its all fun and games till someone loses a nut!

http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/400466

JUST GOT BACK FROM VACATION. WILL ENDING THE EXHAUST JUST BEFORE THE REAREND AND NOT ALL THE WAY OUT THE BACK MAKE THE NOISE LEVEL REALLY DIFFERENT. LEANING TOWARDS PYPES RACE PRO,3INCH. WITH X PIPE.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    With an X pipe (or H) you get more torque due to the pulse matching in the tubes. This also"calms" down the idle. For those who like the nasty idle sound, do not combine the tubes.
    Dave
    Dave
    http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/343797
    "All that is necessary for the triump of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    there will be a huge diffrence in noise with turndowns then out the back.

In my street monte,it was over the rear for awile never vibrated the car.

Then I wanted to go faster and cut the tailpipe off and put turndowns on it and wow,it rattled everthing.

I asume the noise was boncing off the ground.

I think if I would have turned it out in front of the rear tire it would not have been so bad.

JMO
    Full Time Racing,WASTED $$ division

http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/281924

Be a Fan of Full Time Racing on facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/FULL-T...G/177402183154

I DEFINATELY THINK THE FARTHER OUT THE BACK THE BETTER AND IT SHOULD HELP WITH GETTING THE FUMES FROM ENTERING THE CAR. STILL CONCERNED WITH MY 4 LINK BUT I DO NOT PLAN ON ANY STRIP RACING ANY TIME SOON AND THE CHANCES OF A HARD HOOK UP ON THE STREET IS NOT VERY LIKELY. ( NO ) I DONT PLAN ON STREET RACING IT JUST AN OCCASSIONAL 1ST THROUGH 3RD.

ON PYPES WEB SITE THEY CLAIM THERE RACE PROS ARE QUIETER THAN THEIR STREET PROS. ? WOULD THINK THE OPPOSITE. I WAS ALSO TOLD BY USING THE X OR H PIPE YOU WILL LOOSE THE SO CALLED RAPPING NOISE WHEN YOU BACK OFF ON THE PEDAL. ( ANY TRUTH ) THIS IS FOR THE STREET NOT THE TRACK. THANKS FRANK

Junior Member SHOW GUEST
    Borla makes probably the best! (stainless) flowmasters rot out unless you drill a drain hole and the smaller 2 chamber are noisey as shit but are likely what will fit with the 4 link, the borla are pricey but worth it! IMO
    "i saw Elvis at 1000 feet"

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Quote Originally Posted by RAYSIN
    Borla makes probably the best! (stainless) flowmasters rot out unless you drill a drain hole and the smaller 2 chamber are noisey as s but are likely what will fit with the 4 link, the borla are pricey but worth it! IMO
    Stop driving like grandpa and your mufflers won't rot out. :shock:
    -WJ Birmingham

OneBadGMC.com