Scammer Alert

Old 07-27-2009, 06:43 AM
superstreet2055
JOURNEYMAN

Default Scammer Alert

I got taken even though I thought I was being careful. There was an add for a pair of rebuilt Holley 4223's on EBay. They were advertised by someone called HotRod62554 who had a 100% rating with just under a hundred transactions.

The auction expired with no sale so I emailed the seller with a purchase offer which was accepted. The first red flag that I ignored was that the seller didn't accept PayPal. Anyway, I had my bank send a cashiers check. I didn't hear a word from the seller for almost a month (even though I'd sent numerous email inquires). Then, last Saturday, FedEx delivered a box. I opened it and there were two shinny Holleys... one of which had a broken throttle plate.

When I examined the carbs more closely, the unbroken throttle plate was so sticky I could't believe it. It looked like someone had "cleaned" the carbs with a sand blaster (bad enough) and not done any clean up of the debris. These carbs are junk, net even usable for parts.

The seller goes by at least 3 names that I can track down, [email protected], [email protected], and Alice Sleth of Decatur, Il.

Beware, don't take the bait like I did.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:57 AM
Scorpion1110
RACING JUNKIE

Alice and Michael Sleeth- Again

Do a forum search and prepare to read for a while- I have posted on them a couple times.

They are members of the RJ Scammer Forum Hall of Fame.

Sounds like your transaction was Ebay- and they will give you NO protection-trust me on that. Your only choice is probably litigation in local courts as the issue is not that a product wasnt sent-but that it was not as described.

Honestly, it wont be worth your time or money to sue, so unless its principle and you are dedicated write it off.

Scorp
Old 07-27-2009, 09:11 AM
superstreet2055
JOURNEYMAN

Originally Posted by Scorpion1110

Do a forum search and prepare to read for a while- I have posted on them a couple times.

Sounds like your transaction was Ebay- and they will give you NO protection-trust me on that. Your only choice is probably litigation in local courts as the issue is not that a product wasnt sent-but that it was not as described.

Honestly, it wont be worth your time or money to sue, so unless its principle and you are dedicated write it off.

Scorp
I should have known better. You're right, it was an EBay deal. I just wanted the folks here to be aware of the scam.

The curious thing to me is how they had such a long string of positive feedback on EBay. Is there some way that can be corrupted?
Old 07-27-2009, 10:09 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

well they probably sell the "good stuff" on ebay and like in your case after the auction they just got your money and threw some junk carbs in a box. no auction, no feedback. I have heard of them on here too, shame, I live about an hour north of Decatur...

As close to "Normal" as I can get...
Old 07-27-2009, 02:49 PM
Scorpion1110
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by superstreet2055

Scorp
I should have known better. You're right, it was an EBay deal. I just wanted the folks here to be aware of the scam.

The curious thing to me is how they had such a long string of positive feedback on EBay. Is there some way that can be corrupted?
Check the items that are positive. Are they things like cheap glassware, trading cards, cheap stuff like that, that allows them to sell cheap, place in an envelope cheap and get the positive feedback so they can scam people like yourself on the big dollar stuff.

Now heres the Deal- The Sleeths were arrested and they are I believe in the Illinios area-so if you were really inclined-you might find the article informing of their arrest (was it decatur Illinois?). Find the arresting office and tell him what happened and that they have a new spin on their scam. I think Tom (Topsportsman1) posted the link months ago to the article on their arrest.

Might be like placing a big tack on Michael and Alice's chair.

Thats what I would do.

But its all about how far you are willing to go.

Up for the challenge?

Scorp
Old 07-27-2009, 03:25 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Wise words Scorp. I like the idea of using the past skeletons in the closet to leverage them now. If it is one thing, they don't want thier past to keep rearing it's ugly head...
Old 07-28-2009, 08:53 AM
superstreet2055
JOURNEYMAN

Scorp

Check the items that are positive. Are they things like cheap glassware, trading cards, cheap stuff like that, that allows them to sell cheap, place in an envelope cheap and get the positive feedback so they can scam people like yourself on the big dollar stuff.

Now heres the Deal- The Sleeths were arrested and they are I believe in the Illinios area-so if you were really inclined-you might find the article informing of their arrest (was it decatur Illinois?). Find the arresting office and tell him what happened and that they have a new spin on their scam. I think Tom (Topsportsman1) posted the link months ago to the article on their arrest.

Thats what I would do.

Up for the challenge?

Scorp
Great suggestion. I do have an address for them in Decatur, but I think it's a drop box at a Mail Boxes Etc. or something like that. Anyway, I can contact the Decatur PD and see if anyone there can help.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:14 AM
Scorpion1110
RACING JUNKIE

Scorp

Thats what I would do.

Up for the challenge?

Scorp
Great suggestion. I do have an address for them in Decatur, but I think it's a drop box at a Mail Boxes Etc. or something like that. Anyway, I can contact the Decatur PD and see if anyone there can help.
Just an FYI-She's on Reunion.com. (Yup old Alice Sleeth) Even the Scammers can't stay away from the Social networking sites- Might grab all sorts of info there.

The Scammers typically put the "S" in stupid, so they can be easy to break if you are dedicated.

Scorp
Old 07-28-2009, 09:56 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

I found the previous post:

http://forums.racingjunk.com/viewtop...ghlight=sleeth

there may be some more info on there that will help you out. If you need any help finding address's I have a few business acoount in that area that may be able to look stuff up.

As close to "Normal" as I can get...
Old 07-28-2009, 03:29 PM
superstreet2055
JOURNEYMAN

Scorp

Thats what I would do.

Up for the challenge?

Scorp
Just an FYI-She's on Reunion.com. (Yup old Alice Sleeth) Even the Scammers can't stay away from the Social networking sites- Might grab all sorts of info there.

The Scammers typically put the "S" in stupid, so they can be easy to break if you are dedicated.

Scorp
Just wanted to let everyone know that I've sent an email to the Decatur, Il Police Department with the basic background. I don't know if they'll get back to me but if/when they do I'll let everyone know what the scoop is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -