BEST POSITION FOR CARB?

Old 07-21-2009, 09:02 AM
JEFF69Z28
DYNO OPERATOR

Default BEST POSITION FOR CARB?

SHOULD THE CARB BE LEVEL WHEN SITTING ON THE ENGINE OR TILTED WITH THE MOTOR,IM USING SOLID MOUNTS IN A STOCK FRAME.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:14 AM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

That's a very good question. We messed with different settings. One tilted forward, one level, and believe it or not, it didn't make much if any difference. I like to have mine level when engine is in your car, mainly just for setting bowl levels. Alot of engines are tilted back to align the driveshaft to the rearend. On that application I would probably use the tilted intake, other than that I would run the intake that is level....
Old 07-21-2009, 07:26 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Level seem to be better from what I've seen, many take the tappered intakes and put a wedge spacer on them to fix the issues they have.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:03 AM
JEFF69Z28
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by hammertime
Level seem to be better from what I've seen, many take the tappered intakes and put a wedge spacer on them to fix the issues they have.
WHAT KIND OF ISSUES,MAYBE A LEAN CONDITION THAT CAUSES A STUTTER AT LAUNCH??
Old 07-22-2009, 05:29 AM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

10 years ago I turned a dragster over on it top. It slid upside down and facing the wrong way from the finish line until it came to a rest. I was lucky that the front wheels were touching the ground, allowing me to keep the dragster in the middle of the track until it came to a rest. It took out a slick, knocked the scoop off and scratched a header. The reason I told this story is when I got to the other end the engine was still running. In my state of daze I even racked the engine back before I killed it like I would any other time. The carb works on vacuum more so than gravity. A stutter is probably a lean problem, IMO alittle tilt of the carb wouldn't cause it, unless you have a bowl set to high.....
Old 07-22-2009, 11:00 AM
CamBirdRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

I would rather have mine positioned on top of the engine, haha. J/K
Old 07-22-2009, 02:37 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Never had a stumble, I've heard (and seen) with the carb tappered it runs some holes leaner then others.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:51 PM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Crankshaft hould be at the same angle that you can match with your pinion angle...
Old 07-22-2009, 05:27 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by OneBadGMC
Crankshaft hould be at the same angle that you can match with your pinion angle...
well yes and no. No doubt the straighter and flater the crank, driveshaft and pinion is the better, but some things are just to tall for that to work.
Some of the wedge spacers are suppose to have the carb level under hard acceleration. In theory it's to keep the fuel flow even to all the cylinders.
And yes a stumble comes from the carb being to lean.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:01 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by dparker
10 years ago I turned a dragster over on it top. It slid upside down and facing the wrong way from the finish line until it came to a rest. I was lucky that the front wheels were touching the ground, allowing me to keep the dragster in the middle of the track until it came to a rest. It took out a slick, knocked the scoop off and scratched a header. The reason I told this story is when I got to the other end the engine was still running. In my state of daze I even racked the engine back before I killed it like I would any other time. The carb works on vacuum more so than gravity. A stutter is probably a lean problem, IMO alittle tilt of the carb wouldn't cause it, unless you have a bowl set to high.....
Did you win that round or no?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -