Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: How much HP?

  1. #1
    Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Red Deer, AB Canada
    Posts
    213

    How much HP?

    I was just wondering how much horsepower a 240" dragster can safely handle and still make good passes? At what HP would it tend to lift the front end or lose traction? Right now it has about 900 HP and runs straight with no traction problems. What kind of changes or equipment would I need to run 1150 HP?

  2. #2
    Wow Reagan, that didnt last long!! Got "go faster itis" already?
    batteriesnotincludedsomeassemblyrequiredindividual resultsmayvary

  3. #3
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Coldwater, MI
    Posts
    2,998
    Depends on how you go about the 1150 hp with 900 and spray just turn the spray on out further, if with motor you may need to make some changes to bars and take some hit out of it so it dont carry the front wheel out.

    The issue you will find with a very fast car is your limited to the tracks you run because they need to be great and not just ok tracks.
    David Lanning
    IHRA NHRA 387B

    Fleenor Racing Transmission
    419-280-1406
    Lanning Electric
    Complete Drag Car Wiring
    APD Race Engines
    www.apdracing.com

  4. #4
    Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Red Deer, AB Canada
    Posts
    213
    No, no. I don't want to go faster right now as the car seems to be very consistant. It's just that I have to tear the engine down this winter (so I can find out what's in it) and I'm trying to decide what to do at that time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Xrated1
    Wow Reagan, that didnt last long!! Got "go faster itis" already?

  5. #5
    Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Red Deer, AB Canada
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by hammertime
    Depends on how you go about the 1150 hp with 900 and spray just turn the spray on out further, if with motor you may need to make some changes to bars and take some hit out of it so it dont carry the front wheel out.

    The issue you will find with a very fast car is your limited to the tracks you run because they need to be great and not just ok tracks.
    I don't want to run any NOS, just motor. I never thought about the tracks. I suppose the launch would have to be much softer on marginal tracks. What would a guy have to do to the bars?

  6. #6
    Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Red Deer, AB Canada
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by Xrated1
    Wow Reagan, that didnt last long!! Got "go faster itis" already?
    Rod, are you heading for Edmonton next weekend?

  7. #7
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Coldwater, MI
    Posts
    2,998
    Quote Originally Posted by kod99
    Quote Originally Posted by hammertime
    Depends on how you go about the 1150 hp with 900 and spray just turn the spray on out further, if with motor you may need to make some changes to bars and take some hit out of it so it dont carry the front wheel out.

    The issue you will find with a very fast car is your limited to the tracks you run because they need to be great and not just ok tracks.
    I don't want to run any NOS, just motor. I never thought about the tracks. I suppose the launch would have to be much softer on marginal tracks. What would a guy have to do to the bars?
    You would have to 1. take some hit away from it move the IC out a little bit but not not far, 2. Non aggressive converter 3. Digital 7 ignition box to take timing out at the hit. Tracks usually dont like more then 1000 on 100 degree day around here.
    David Lanning
    IHRA NHRA 387B

    Fleenor Racing Transmission
    419-280-1406
    Lanning Electric
    Complete Drag Car Wiring
    APD Race Engines
    www.apdracing.com

  8. #8
    Yup probly just Sunday though
    batteriesnotincludedsomeassemblyrequiredindividual resultsmayvary

  9. #9
    Member MASTER JOURNEYMAN
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Ky
    Posts
    42
    I'm running 1540 right now in my 260" bos, and seems to be alright! I also have a slip tube 240" with 800hp for bracketing. They both like to leave pretty hard but haven't had to much lip out of them on hooking up. I never had an adjustable suspension in the back though, I always heard it made up for poorly built cars! :lol:

  10. #10
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Coldwater, MI
    Posts
    2,998
    Quote Originally Posted by quick8dragster07
    , I always heard it made up for poorly built cars! :lol:
    or a bad track or making stopping easy :wink:
    David Lanning
    IHRA NHRA 387B

    Fleenor Racing Transmission
    419-280-1406
    Lanning Electric
    Complete Drag Car Wiring
    APD Race Engines
    www.apdracing.com


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Email us - Support@RacingJunk.com
Call us - 866.326.9227
Copyright © 2005-2016 RacingJunk.com All Rights Reserved.

Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the RacingJunk.com
Terms of Use, Classifieds Disclaimer, Privacy Policy, and Cookie Policy