Thread: TH 400 have you ever delt with the "Governor"

Junior Member SHOW GUEST

TH 400 have you ever delt with the "Governor"

Have you ever had to adjust the weights on your tranny governor to get your miles per hour speeds in a good range compared to gears shifting range for example, my tranny shifts from 1st. to 2nd. gear and going to 3rd, by the time the speedometer reads 36 or 37 MPH. wondering if you have some input on the matter? Thanks for your time in thinking about my problem. My vehicle is a 1986 Suburban 2500 with a sbc 350

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Since no one has responded to this question, what are you trying to do? get it to shift later or earlier?
    In the old days when we wanted to up the shift points on a 400 we used to drill (4) 1/4" hole in the swing weights on the gov. this lightened them up making the shift points higher on acceleration.
    Of course with todays and yesteryears modified 400's the gov. is eliminated/pluged.

Zip.

The governor is mostly for WOT adjustments. B&M (and others, i am sure) have a kit to let you do this. It is mostly trial and error, but you shouldn't lose any fluid, so easy enough to do. Kit consists of springs and weights.

The part throttle shifts are controlled by the vacumn modulator. You can pick up an adjustable one at most parts stores. Also easy to replace, and adjust.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Quote Originally Posted by a7point4
    The part throttle shifts are controlled by the vacumn modulator. You can pick up an adjustable one at most parts stores. Also easy to replace, and adjust.
    X2 the modulator controls low rpm shifts while the governor is only used on WOT shifts and downshifting.

If you ever had one stick while slowing down to stop with the tranny in high gear, you'll know.
    It will start bucking and jerking and carrying on.
    Cp
    ***IN GOD WE TRUST***

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE TheRabbit's Avatar
    [quote="cepx111"]
    Quote Originally Posted by a7point4

If you ever had one stick while slowing down to stop with the tranny in high gear, you'll know.
    It will start bucking and jerking and carrying on.
    Cp
    Sounds like my girlfriend! Sorry, couldn't resist!