Would anyone accept a certified cheque as payment

Old 06-17-2009, 10:11 PM
getmeout
SHOW GUEST

Default Would anyone accept a certified cheque as payment

First off i am canadian and the person interested in my product says he only pays with certified cheques. i thought in US it wasnt called that. Should i accept it or is this a common scam , thanks
Old 06-17-2009, 10:13 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

It is common for scammers to send a fake Cashiers check...make sure your bank calls the bank the check is from and makes sure it's real. Someone tried that on my boss and he showed it to me...it looked totally legit...until he called the bank.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:23 AM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

Banks are required to keep logged entries of Cashier/Certified checks over a certain dollar amount (and it is lower then what you all might think) including name, SSN and drivers license info. That bank will be able to tell you immediately if they issued the funds and will not refuse to release that information to you. I still stand by the philosophy of " In God we trust...... all others pay cash" whenever I can. Heck, I have put cash in UPS envelopes, insured it and shipped it.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:46 AM
bigray
DYNO OPERATOR

YOU... MUST DO YOUR HOMEWORK ON A ANY BANK DRAWN CHECK.....THE BUYER SHOULD PROVIDE YOU WITH ALL THE INFO YOU NEED,,,,,,,ALSO WITH THAT SAID,,TAKE THE BANKS NUMBER FROM THE BUYER,,,,BUT ALSO CHECK TO MAKE SURE THAT.IT IS TRULY THE BANKS NUMBER AND NOT A FAKE NUMBER THAT CAN BACK UP EVERYTHING THE BUYER IS SAYING.WHERE THE NUMBER THEY GIVE YOU IS TO A SECOND CON MAN.PRETENDING TO BE THE BANK..GET IT !!!!
Old 06-18-2009, 12:22 PM
getmeout
SHOW GUEST

could you go to their bank to cash it?

thanks for all help too
Old 06-18-2009, 01:50 PM
ashbros
RACING JUNKIE

Just like shawnp and bigray have advised, do your homework........

Yes, it the bank chain that issued the check is in your area, you can take it to the bank and cash it.

When accepting a cashiers check I always require a copy of a valid drivers license, Physical home address, Home phone number that can be verified through directory assistance, A bill of sale wth a signature. Upon receipt of the cashier check I make a copy for my records, Look up the bank on the internet, call the phone number listed in the telephone directory for the bank, verify the cashier check amount and to person it is make out to and from. If all checks out, I deposit the check and in about 5 to 6 days I call the bank the check was drawn from to see if the check has cleared the bank. Once the check has cleared, I ship the parts.

For the record I have received a few phony cashier checks, have found following these step isn't a 100 percent gaurantee, but to date I have not had any negative results following this barage of checks and balances..

Good Luck,
Old 06-18-2009, 02:25 PM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Screw the homework I'm too old

I have avoided this hassle all together as a seller by requiring a US postal money order for all items I sold this winter. The Canadian post office uses the same system as the US, I found out by selling to a Canadian that sent me a Canadian postal money order and cashed it at my local post office in Michigan the same day I received it. They can not be refunded after cashing and I look at them the same as cash once the post office cashes it. Now a day's dishonest buyers can cancel or void the checks be it cashier or money order as long as 30 days after the fact. This is not something I want to become a Lawyer over to do my homework. Bull sht!
Ask for a us postal money order that cost the buyer $1.34 per money order up to $1000 each or something close to that. This leaves the honor on you my friend.
Bruce
Old 06-18-2009, 04:26 PM
ashbros
RACING JUNKIE

TopspeedLowet

x2

I sincerely perfer USPS money Orders. There no BS involved.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:37 PM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

X3 on the Postal Money order. That's all I've used buying or selling. Has worked great for me.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:31 AM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

Postal Money Orders and Traveler Checks as the 2 most common forms of fraud followed by bank check when it comes to purchases. Credit cards are on the rise....again. The new scam with credit cards is to use a fraud card and have the packages delivered to an empty home or building where someone is waiting to sign for them. With the amount of empty residential homes, the scam is on the rise. Those that accept credit cards, beware.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -