Strongest starter and flywheel

Old 06-15-2009, 12:20 PM
Birddog95
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default Strongest starter and flywheel

Having problems this weekend with turning over a hot motor, we ended up chewing up the teeth on our flywheel. What is the strongest starter/ flywheel combo out there? I have a B&M flex in this car (same in our old car) and the flywheel just didn't seem to last. I put in a billet CSR flywheel in our old car(before we sold the car) that seemed to work well.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:22 PM
Birddog95
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Sorry, just realized I posted in the wrong forum section ops:
Old 06-15-2009, 01:20 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Strongest starter and flywheel

Originally Posted by Birddog95
Having problems this weekend with turning over a hot motor, we ended up chewing up the teeth on our flywheel. What is the strongest starter/ flywheel combo out there? I have a B&M flex in this car (same in our old car) and the flywheel just didn't seem to last. I put in a billet CSR flywheel in our old car(before we sold the car) that seemed to work well.
I went through a bunch of them high dollar and non-high dollar, there is usually a reason it chews up flexplates not a cheap flexplate issue.

Do you have a start retard or does the voltage drop off a lot when cranking ?
Old 06-15-2009, 03:15 PM
Birddog95
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Another guy asked me about the start retard (I don't have one) but I never thought about the volt drop. I better check the size of wire to the starter and volts during cranking- Thanks!
Old 06-15-2009, 04:02 PM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

Default Starter

Are you running a Ford solenoid in the starter system? If not, it may be a good investment. It allows more current to flow to the starter. Just a suggestion.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:27 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Birddog95
Another guy asked me about the start retard (I don't have one) but I never thought about the volt drop. I better check the size of wire to the starter and volts during cranking- Thanks!
I went through this last year, before testing everything and finding a voltage issue wasnt helping matters.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:53 AM
THERATTLER
RACING JUNKIE

I USED TO GO THROUGH THOSE MINI STARTERS LIKE CRAZY , THEN I RELIZED I HAD A START RETARD BUILT INTO MY 7AL3 , I HOOKED IT UP AND HAVN'T HAD A PROBLEM SINCE...PAUL
Old 06-17-2009, 07:59 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by maniac
I USED TO GO THROUGH THOSE MINI STARTERS LIKE CRAZY , THEN I RELIZED I HAD A START RETARD BUILT INTO MY 7AL3 , I HOOKED IT UP AND HAVN'T HAD A PROBLEM SINCE...PAUL
very suprising, being the al3 has 25degrees start timing pulled out usually causes tons of issues instead of helps.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:30 PM
chevyfireball
MASTER BUILDER

My old 6AL had a start retard. real easy to set. Motor turned over like a street car.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:04 AM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

Maybe they get more time to cool down. Mine will start better cold with the start retard but will kick back when its hot. Since I start more after its warmed up I don't run mine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -