towing capacity

Old 06-11-2009, 07:15 PM
banshee02
SHOW GUEST

Default towing capacity

i need some help on this matter.a friend has a 3/4 ton chevy and he's trying to figure out if a 44ft enclosed trailer is to much for his truck to handle?can anyone give me a helpful answer?
Old 06-11-2009, 07:32 PM
bbchevy
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: towing capacity

Originally Posted by banshee02
i need some help on this matter.a friend has a 3/4 ton chevy and he's trying to figure out if a 44ft enclosed trailer is to much for his truck to handle?can anyone give me a helpful answer?
LOTS of IFS in this Catagory?
1st of i have a 45'Pace,its weighs in @ 9400lb MT,went i load 2-Cars and the Gear and a Golf Cart,we can get REAL close to 20 GRAND?
I Pull My Trailer with a 98GMC 3500 HD,7.4.
Heres the MAIN Question i have for You?Are you Planning on Local Races only,with'in say 100 miles from Home?
If NOT?How LUCKY are you Feeling..........................?
Later
G 8)
Old 06-11-2009, 09:05 PM
procitation
JUNIOR BUILDER

We were pulling our 48 foot with our 1 ton dually truck for a while. The truck hauled the trailer, but it was a strain. It eventually took out the transmission. We also felt that the trailer would take the truck for a real ride, if anything ever happened. The truck and loaded trailor weighed around 27,000 combined. You do the math. I would not attempt to haul a trailor that big without a one ton dually at the minimum. The trailer likely had a tongue weight of around 5000-6000 pounds. You may be in a slightly better position if the trailor is a feather-lite, but it still sounds like a lot for a 3/4 ton. We upgraded to a big truck. An International DT4600

Old 06-11-2009, 09:36 PM
spib
RACING JUNKIE

I pull a 32'8" tripple open with two rigs and a 9ft camper my truck is a 07 gmc 2500 hd with 5000lb air bags duramax and allison tranny it does this fine, but if I had much more then what I got I would want a bigger truck, I am looking at around 20,000 going down the road

Old 06-12-2009, 03:09 AM
CamBirdRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

At one time, I had a 95 Chevy 1 ton with the peice of crap 6.5, didn't like my 38' enclosed. Beck in 05, I bought me a new 04 C4500 Kodiak.Good thing I did b/c I met the woman of my dream and she wanted to race. So we had to buy a 48' to haul both cars in. Weighs about 20k plus the 11k for the truck. I wouldn't do it with a 3/4.

I have the 38' for sale if he is looking for a trailer, it can be towed with a 3/4 ton.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:32 AM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

One thing you might think about is that if you get a bigger truck and if your weight gets over 26,000 lb you have to get a CDL. If your under 26,000lb you might drive slower and take it easy. Also watch how you load your trailer, don't put all the weight on the tongue. Distribute the weight where the trailer is carrying most of the weight and have your electric brakes hooked up. JMO
Old 06-12-2009, 05:40 AM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

I pull a 30 ft enclosed, with car, 2670 lbs, 400 4 wheeler, tool box, compressor, air tank etc, with a 2500 dodge diesel, no problems. Just about all together 12,000.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:58 AM
CamBirdRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by dparker
One thing you might think about is that if you get a bigger truck and if your weight gets over 26,000 lb you have to get a CDL. If your under 26,000lb you might drive slower and take it easy. Also watch how you load your trailer, don't put all the weight on the tongue. Distribute the weight where the trailer is carrying most of the weight and have your electric brakes hooked up. JMO
Sometimes true. Most of the time you might get hassled, but usually you dont' need a cdl unless you are racing for a profit (yea, right) or have stickers advertising companys on your rig. Very broad area. Never found out exactly what you need. I know people that have 18 wheeler tractors as tow rigs that don't have a cdl.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:48 AM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

All thats changing all over the US. I'm hearing stories every week. Texas is probably the worst. Anything over 26,000lb by law must have a CDL. Alot of states are cracking down on 65ft overall min. also. All states aren't enforcing it now but its coming.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:49 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by CamBirdRacing
Originally Posted by dparker
Sometimes true. Most of the time you might get hassled, but usually you dont' need a cdl unless you are racing for a profit (yea, right) or have stickers advertising companys on your rig. Very broad area. Never found out exactly what you need. I know people that have 18 wheeler tractors as tow rigs that don't have a cdl.
It all depends on how the vehicle is registered. Totorhomes are registered as RV's and you don't have to have a CDL. Most of them get well over 50,000lbs with trailer is included.

I have a 2500hd and looking at a 48' trailer with living quarters
(Haulmark), but can't find a curb weight on it. Anybody have an idea?
I'd hate to buy a trailer I can't haul. I do travel as far as 1,100 miles ( once or twice a year) to races, but mostly race within 200-300 miles of home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -