Thread: 502 oiling problems

Junior Member JOURNEYMAN

502 oiling problems

Has anyone ever used one of these blocks and had an oiling issue, had good parts and proper clearances but bearings look like they were starving for oil and seems like l had read something about this on here somewhere but cant find it now, please help!!!!!!!!

Junior Member JOURNEYMAN
    anyone please?????

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Don't know if it's the problem or not but almost all the people i know with anything bigger than a 468, are running the best windage tray they can buy and some are also running vacuum pumps to control the hurricane in the oil pan. I know of one engine that the oil pressure would actually drop above 5,000 rpm's. A windage tray and an 8qt. pan solved the problem.

JMO

Zip.

Junior Member JOURNEYMAN
    thanks for your input

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    I had a Gen IV 502 Bowtie block and didn't have any issues.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    I also would recomend running a windage tray, AND a low oil pressure warning light, a BIG red one on top of the dash near the shift light is what I use.

Cp
    ***IN GOD WE TRUST***

Member MASTER JOURNEYMAN
    Is this a Gen V or VI block? Are you screwing the oil filter directly to the block? If so, you don't need the bypass valve under the threaded fitting for the filter. the oil will make three extra turns, and lose some pressure. Mine and my friends usually run only 20 psi hot at idle, but jumps up when you rev it, and the bearings look fine. Sean

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE TheRabbit's Avatar
    I ran a 502 block for a few years. I used it to build a 548ci w/ 850hp. No oiling problem, but they are not very good blocks. Go with dart if you can.