Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: alky vs gas

alky vs gas

once it's all said and done is it cheaper to run alky or gas?

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Alcohol, as long as you have a source where you can get alcohol for $150.00 a barrel or cheaper.

how does it compare if you factor in extra maintenance and more frequent oil changes etc? That isn't me arguing by the way, I'm just asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Tod74
    how does it compare if you factor in extra maintenance and more frequent oil changes etc? That isn't me arguing by the way, I'm just asking.
    Hey Tod,

There is NO extra maintenance when you have your setup right. Its not alky thats hard to use its people using it who make it harder then it should be.

I change oil same as gas, I run no top lube, check valves same as on gas (at oil change) have NO milky oil and looks great when it comes apart.
    David Lanning
    IHRA NHRA 387B

Fleenor Racing Transmission
    419-280-1406
    Lanning Electric
    Complete Drag Car Wiring
    APD Race Engines
    www.apdracing.com

I have a couple of friends who run the Ron's terminator setups and they love them. Both cars are very consistant...they never mess with theirs either...but they run vaccume pumps too.The guys I know runing carburators have issues with milking the oil and change the oil just about every week....

Quote Originally Posted by Tod74
    I have a couple of friends who run the Ron's terminator setups and they love them. Both cars are very consistant...they never mess with theirs either...but they run vaccume pumps too.The guys I know runing carburators have issues with milking the oil and change the oil just about every week....
    Must be ruperts :wink:

I've never had a issue with alky when I ran apd's, ruperts were always milky and looked like crap.
    David Lanning
    IHRA NHRA 387B

419-280-1406
    Lanning Electric
    Complete Drag Car Wiring
    APD Race Engines
    www.apdracing.com

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE THERATTLER's Avatar
    I'M WITH HAMMER . ALCOHOL IS ABOUT A 1/4 THE PRICE OF RACING GAS RIGHT NOW...I RUN AN ENDERLE HAT ON A BLOWER WITH NO MILKING AT ALL , PEOPLE THAT HAVE MILKY OIL ARE RUNNING TOO RICH. I CAN RICHEN UP THE BARREL VALVE TO STOP THE IDLE HUNT AND MILK UP THE OIL..I HAVE BEEN RUNNING ALCOHOL FOR YEARS WITH NO ENGINE PROBLEMS WHAT SO EVER ,I ALWAYS SHUT DOWN MY ENGINE ON GASOLINE AND SPIN IT OVER WHILE SPRAYING WD 40 IN INJECTOR IF IT IS GOING TO SIT AWHILE. STOPS CORROSION.
    ***IN GOD WE TRUST***GOD BLESS AMERICA******

Quote Originally Posted by maniac
    I'M WITH HAMMER . ALCOHOL IS ABOUT A 1/4 THE PRICE OF RACING GAS RIGHT NOW...I RUN AN ENDERLE HAT ON A BLOWER WITH NO MILKING AT ALL , PEOPLE THAT HAVE MILKY OIL ARE RUNNING TOO RICH. I CAN RICHEN UP THE BARREL VALVE TO STOP THE IDLE HUNT AND MILK UP THE OIL..I HAVE BEEN RUNNING ALCOHOL FOR YEARS WITH NO ENGINE PROBLEMS WHAT SO EVER ,I ALWAYS SHUT DOWN MY ENGINE ON GASOLINE AND SPIN IT OVER WHILE SPRAYING WD 40 IN INJECTOR IF IT IS GOING TO SIT AWHILE. STOPS CORROSION.
    My friends do the same( run on gas before shut down) Also use a gas primer set up

maybe i should have been more specific i was trying to compare alcohol to pump gas not race gas

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyboy86
    maybe i should have been more specific i was trying to compare alcohol to pump gas not race gas
    no comparsion !
    David Lanning
    IHRA NHRA 387B

419-280-1406
    Lanning Electric
    Complete Drag Car Wiring
    APD Race Engines
    www.apdracing.com