ford tranny acting wierd whats the deal help!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-14-2009, 05:56 AM
racelikustolitlx
APPRENTICE

Default ford tranny acting wierd whats the deal help!!!!!!!!!!

I have a 3 speed in my 89 stang dont know what tranny it is c-4 c-6 ???? I took my brother out and hammered on it for a while less than a 4 mile round trip. first thing is the tranny will not kick down at all when you romp it runnin at any speed and it takes kickin the pedal throught the floorboard to get it to shift 3 times then you can settle down and cruize on the highway, 3500 rpm at 70 ( geared for the quater I belive). the engine is a mild 302, trickflow cam 499./510. , AFR 185 heads, rpm intake and holley carb... trannies are a black science to me. but back to the drive it was slipping throught the gears, not firm at all then on the turn around I had to baby it back to keep it from slippin what I am missing the TC is new and looks stock and the stall is factory thanks for the help guys
Old 05-14-2009, 06:22 AM
chevynovaman
SENIOR BUILDER

YOU COULD TRY TO CHANGE THE FLUID AND FILTER, IF THAT DONT HELP IT MIGHT NEED A REBUILD IF SLIPPING THAT BAD...
Old 05-15-2009, 06:43 PM
kbartley
EXPERT BUILDER

Default ford tranny acting wierd

I agree w/ chevy novamann, the filter might be blocked somewhat, also sounds like poooor pump pressure to me, but if it is now slipping its probably too late, burnt up. Also, check and make sure there is not too much fluid in it. try this first. any of you fellas out there got any ideas, I know somebody else that is having similar symptoms w/ a c-4. Kris p.s. Let us know what you find out.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:50 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

It has to be a C4 or a C5, a C6 will not fit without major tranny tunnel alterations in a fox bodied car.

The C4 I stuck in the boys 89 mustang wasnt right either, it did something similar, I had to pull it and get a total rebuild, C4 rebuilds are cheap if you pull it yourself that is.
If I remember I paid $350 with a remaned converter.

You can try the fluid and filter deal but chances are if its slipping your tranny is toast, C4's have a tiny oil pan, doenst take much to smoke one.
Make dam sure you have manifold vacuum hooked up to the modulator when you get it back in, leaving it off will smoke one pretty quick if your putting any kind of power to it.

Goodluck, Cp
Old 05-16-2009, 06:49 AM
racelikustolitlx
APPRENTICE

damn it man I do belive the guy that put the tranny in the car left it off its just a small vac line in the right side of the tranny right and yeah the trans smells like burnt are they pretty easy to rebuild yourself thanks jessie
Old 05-19-2009, 11:03 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by racelikustolitlx
damn it man I do belive the guy that put the tranny in the car left it off its just a small vac line in the right side of the tranny right and yeah the trans smells like burnt are they pretty easy to rebuild yourself thanks jessie
Pretty cut and dry, clutch packs, 2 bands and a planetary gear set.

Yank the pump out with a slide hammer, pull it apart and see what you got.

Goodluck, CP