has any one done an 4.6 svt swap in a notckback

Old 05-12-2009, 01:42 AM
racelikustolitlx
APPRENTICE

Default has any one done an 4.6 svt swap in a notckback

just wondering if anyone out there has heard of anyone doing an svt cobra swap on a notch or gt. Any one can build a a nasty 302 but for some serious and reliable power I want to to a cobra motor swap in my 89 lx mustang, and build the motor with a set of cams and a smaller pulley. I want to use an aje k member and flaming river rack. what do you other junkies think thanks jessie
Old 05-12-2009, 10:25 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

89 notch? Man that engine bay ishome to the windsor family of blocks.
Going nodular would be a major under taking I'm thinking.

I crammed a nicely tuned 351W in the boy's 89 GT.
It ran 7.70's right out the box with 373's - gears stock suspension and 8 inch dot slicks, not bad for a ford I thought.

A single 150 shot of funny fumes ought to put him in the high sixes.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:00 AM
racelikustolitlx
APPRENTICE

very nice very nice doesnt look to crowded in there I stuffed an ls1/t-56 in my buddies 85 rx7 so the challenge is what I am up for. I wanted something that would pull the quater in a heart beat and be just as streetable as a stock cobra and be twice as light as one(not really twice) my car is empty and ready for something nice I was also thinking 460 and a glide but the street pounder is more what I am after
Old 05-13-2009, 10:53 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Man I knew this guy who shoe horned a 460 in his 88 mustang, it was a tight fit no doubt, but man that car was incredably fast for a bone stock 460, it was all torque.
He ended up selling it after he melted about three sets of tires in 2 months....lol

I know them 4.6's can be built to be pretty bad - there are plenty of off the shelf performance parts to be had, plus like you said they are alot lighter then the old cast iron V8's

Goodluck on your swap, post some pics as you progress.

Late Cp
Old 05-14-2009, 01:20 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

You guys are crazy....Fords are too hard to work on. Too much stuff to remember...351 Clevland 351 Windsor...351 Modified...WTF?

3 different 351's ... :?
Old 05-14-2009, 01:35 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Tod74
3 different 351's ... :?

and all way behind a chevy :lol: :wink:
Old 05-14-2009, 03:12 AM
racelikustolitlx
APPRENTICE

oh come on now fellsas I have big respect for these llittle ponies, my last toy was a 720 horse 2000 ss maro she was a beast no doubt, but I had my ass handed back to me quite a few times by stoked and turboed ponies.... the 460 has crossed my mind a lot, but I am really leaning on the svt motor that would be to damn mean ya know, nothing beats the sound of a kenny bell screamin at ya, hell I even love the sound of my measly little pontiac GTP. but I agree fords are weird but all motors have their own quarks.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:46 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

The only reason I have a ford in my stable is cause of that boy.

We needed something cheap to hop up, found a bargin on the GT and the bullet so there you go.
mid 7's in the 1/8 for under 4K. Been tough to do that wih a chevy without it looking like hoopty.

I'm a chevy racer now, remember I have a 69 camaro???

And your right Tod, all them ones can be very confusing, but really the only ONE to remember is the 351W, all the others are just arcaic boat anchors.