Fuel pump rod stuck

Old 05-03-2009, 06:27 PM
Jordan1984
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default Fuel pump rod stuck

A friend of mine is wanting to trade his 402 bbc for my 350 sbc. But- when he bought the long block assembly it was fresh built, never ran, and still needed to run in the break in period. When we went to crank it, no fuel pressure at all. The pump was already on it when he got it. We pulled the pump off, and the rod was stuck in the bore. Wouldnt budge at all. He tried cranking the engine while I held my finger on it and it didnt move either. No oil was leaking around the bore, it was still clean and dry like no oil had even got to it. He put a cover plate on it, got an electric fuel pump, and it runs fine with no problems. Anybody ever had this problem, what causes it to seize, how do I get it out to fix it, or do I just leave it alone?
Old 05-04-2009, 02:56 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Oh brother....Now someone wants to trade you a 402 for your 350.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:26 AM
kbartley
EXPERT BUILDER

Default Bigblock W/ Stuck Pump Rod

check the bolt in the front of the block, might be too long hitting the p.rod. If thats the case you are probably stuck w/ an elec. pump now. Kris
Old 05-04-2009, 04:20 AM
sc4405
JUNIOR BUILDER

It's either flattened the eccentric on the cam or mushroomed the end of the rod so it won't come out except with a giant hammer/punch. Somebody screwed the pooch by not using assembly lube on it. Electric pump...... 8) JB PS the bolt in the front will lock it down but I'd bet the damage is already done.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:11 AM
CamBirdRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

If it wiped the lobe off the cam, it is probably full of metal shavings. Next thing is no oil pressure.