Thread: electric shift or air which is more reliable

Junior Member APPRENTICE

electric shift or air which is more reliable

It time for me to switch to a auto shift in your opinion which one is more reliable?

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER

electric or air shift

I see at our local track that alot af guys are using electric shifter's. I amssuming its more dependable. When I had my Altered I was going to go to an electric shift so I could keep both hands on the wheel. So I bought a used shiftnoid and msd controller from a guy on this site, but never did use it & of coarse I can't use it on my FED. , not permitted. Kris

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    I have electric in my truck that I installed and air in my dragster (it came with it) I like the electric better, due to not needing an air bottle.
    Josh VanHorne

1964 Chevy Nova
    Worlds quickest and fastest tow truck. (9.92 @ 137)

http://static.racingjunk.com/63/ui/7...247837-479.jpg

http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/211708

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Quote Originally Posted by DragsterJosh
    I have electric in my truck that I installed and air in my dragster (it came with it) I like the electric better, due to not needing an air bottle.
    I think the air might be alittle more acurate, but it sure nice is not having to worry about turning the bottle off and do I have enough air to last the race. I run air but I went over my whole system with a bottle of soapy water to make sure I didn't have any leaks. Your bottle will last so much longer that way. I can also fill my own bottles. All you need is access to a coke CO2 bottle. Freeze your bottle and fill. If I don't freeze I can only get about 8ozs of liquid instead of 10ozs.

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    x2 on not having to worry about turning off or filling the bottle. My car has an electric shift and so far so good. JMO

TS1955

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE BEAST477's Avatar
    Are all you guys with electric running glides? I've heard some guys having problems with electric on three speeds. The 1-2 shift is usually good but the 2-3 is inconsistant. Does that sound right?
    BEAST477

Only a rich man can afford to use cheap parts.

http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/177549

Junior Member APPRENTICE
    I should have said that this is a 3sp auto it seems that might make a difference. it looks like I was leaning towards electric until the last post, so is there a problem with the 2-3 shift using electric?

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    I use an electric shift on my glide, wired to the MSD Digital 7. It shifts at 7600rpm perfectly every time.
    I have no idea how you'd use one on a three stage.
    It Ain't Over Til Its NOVA - 634ci of S*#t Your Pants!

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    i use electric with a glide, also heard guy,s have prob with 2 to 3 with them.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE THERATTLER's Avatar
    I have an electric shift valve body in my glide , shifter stays in low and doesn't move , an electric solenoid in valve body moves valve to high gear , runs off a chip on my MSD 7 al3. works perfect everytime .
    ***IN GOD WE TRUST***GOD BLESS AMERICA******