throttle cable length

Old 05-03-2009, 05:23 AM
coloradoracerguy
SENIOR BUILDER

Default throttle cable length

For anyone running a dragster, what is your throttle cable length? Right now on mine, the carb is facing backwards, and the cable goes straight to it. I'm going to be changing the carb and wanted to turn it back around the right way, but the cable I have isn't nearly long enough. Thanks for the input!

Mark
Old 05-04-2009, 11:43 AM
kbartley
EXPERT BUILDER

Default cable length

might have to run 2 different length cables to get what you need. providing I understand the ? Kris
Old 05-04-2009, 01:39 PM
I972Nova
EXPERT BUILDER

I think mine is 12 or 14 feet. It goes from the pedal all the way back around the radiator and up to the carb.

Here is a pic of it, I think you can see it in there.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:05 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Why not just leave the carb backward?
Old 05-04-2009, 03:05 PM
ARUSSELL
MASTER BUILDER

If it is a dominator, turn the carb sideways
Old 05-04-2009, 08:32 PM
coloradoracerguy
SENIOR BUILDER

Thanks for the input guys. Josh, I'm thinking of a setup similar to your's. I just didn't want to have to guess at the cable length. I guess I can cut some rope that length and "mock" it up to get it right, and that length gives me a starting point.

Mounting it sideways is out of the question. That would require alot more work than it's worth making everything fit. Yes, it is a dominator.

Two cables?? Not sure what you mean by that. It's set up now to pull the throttle open. I want to keep it that way, just want the carb facing with the primaries to the front instead of to the rear like they are now. I don't have the dominator on it yet, it will be going on soon.

As far as leaving it backwards goes, I've thought about that, and while it would be easier, the throttle cable bracket I have now will not reach the linkage once I put the adapter plate on. I just don't have that much slack in it. So since a new cable would be in order, as well as a new cable bracket, I plan on just putting things the way I would have done it had I built this combo myself (I didn't build it, my buddy gave me the car).

Thanks again guys.

Mark