What Is Best Fuel Choice C14,C15 or C16 for my application

Old 04-25-2009, 09:06 PM
schupps
SHOW GUEST

Default What Is Best Fuel Choice C14,C15 or C16 for my application

I have a 565 BBC in a drag race application .
Specs single 1250 hp
14-1 compression
324DR12 cam
2350 LBS CAR
6000 convertor on brake
7500 max RPM
If you leave opinion please include why you believe your answer to be the best choice .Thanks
Old 04-26-2009, 03:30 AM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

Default C-15 is the fastest fuel of the three

C-15 is the best for N/A big bore engines and has only 10% aromatic hydrocarbons. The burn rate is faster than C-16 which works best in blown and turbo applications that require high detonation resistance. Now C-14 has no aromatic hydrocarbons which will make it difficult to read your plugs due to no soot indicators that most of us are used to seeing on the plug. The cost of these fuels are nearly the same and I have used all 3 in big bore N/A single carb engines. The C-15 is much faster in 4.60" bore engines than C-16 by a bunch due to the faster burn rate, and the SG of .713 keeps you from running huge jets that the C-14 will need with it's .690 SG.
C-14 needs to be tuned on the dyno with oxygen sensors to get the tune-up quickly, plug reading is challenging without aromatic's.
C-16 has 6 grams of lead compared to 4.23 that the 15 and 14 have and having 20% aromatic hydrocarbons make's the plugs dark when rich.
C-15 is clean burning, low in aromatics, high octane and fast burning. My first choice for your application C-15, C-14 would be my second choice.
I was once informed that C-15 is C-12 and C-14 mixed 50/50. The behavior of 15 is similar to both 12 and 14. For what that might be worth?
Bruce
Old 04-26-2009, 05:01 PM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: C-15 is the fastest fuel of the three

Originally Posted by TopspeedLowet
C-15 is the best for N/A big bore engines and has only 10% aromatic hydrocarbons. The burn rate is faster than C-16 which works best in blown and turbo applications that require high detonation resistance. Now C-14 has no aromatic hydrocarbons which will make it difficult to read your plugs due to no soot indicators that most of us are used to seeing on the plug. The cost of these fuels are nearly the same and I have used all 3 in big bore N/A single carb engines. The C-15 is much faster in 4.60" bore engines than C-16 by a bunch due to the faster burn rate, and the SG of .713 keeps you from running huge jets that the C-14 will need with it's .690 SG.
C-14 needs to be tuned on the dyno with oxygen sensors to get the tune-up quickly, plug reading is challenging without aromatic's.
C-16 has 6 grams of lead compared to 4.23 that the 15 and 14 have and having 20% aromatic hydrocarbons make's the plugs dark when rich.
C-15 is clean burning, low in aromatics, high octane and fast burning. My first choice for your application C-15, C-14 would be my second choice.
I was once informed that C-15 is C-12 and C-14 mixed 50/50. The behavior of 15 is similar to both 12 and 14. For what that might be worth?
Bruce
I agree with what topspeed says. One thing you might look at also would be Q16.
Q16 will work well in any drag racing application. Q16 is highly oxygenated, requiring a 4-6% increase in fuel flow, which will make 3-5% more power than competitive 116 octane fuels. Q16's oxygenation will significantly expand the range of air/fuel ratio acceptability, so performance will be more consistent and won't vary as dramatically with altitude or density changes. For bracket racers, variations in ET from run to run will be substantially reduced. This added fuel flow also effectively increases its octane by 6-8 numbers above its standard ASTM octane rating.
Just a thought...............
Old 04-27-2009, 02:53 AM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

Dparker wrote-
One thing you might look at also would be Q16.
Q16 will work well in any drag racing application. Q16 is highly oxygenated, requiring a 4-6% increase in fuel flow, which will make 3-5% more power than competitive 116 octane fuels. Q16's oxygenation will significantly expand the range of air/fuel ratio acceptability, so performance will be more consistent and won't vary as dramatically with altitude or density changes. For bracket racers, variations in ET from run to run will be substantially reduced. This added fuel flow also effectively increases its octane by 6-8 numbers above its standard ASTM octane rating.
Just a thought...............[/quote]

Hey Dparker, when did you start selling Q16? I hope you negotiated a decent kick back with VP for this commercial.

Just kidden buddy.

I hated that stuff. Lots of unintended consequences when running that much alcohol in your fuel when you are used to running plane ole gasoline. Very corrosive stuff and $17.00 per gallon.
Bruce
Old 04-27-2009, 06:44 AM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by TopspeedLowet
Dparker wrote-
One thing you might look at also would be Q16.
Just a thought...............

Hey Dparker, when did you start selling Q16? I hope you negotiated a decent kick back with VP for this commercial.

Just kidden buddy.

I hated that stuff. Lots of unintended consequences when running that much alcohol in your fuel when you are used to running plane ole gasoline. Very corrosive stuff and $17.00 per gallon.
Bruce
We're running 113 in our other dragster its oxygenated also. And they are more corrosive. Price around here is closer to $13.00 gal. You have to watch your air bleeds and you need to pickle your system at the end of the year. Maybe since we run alcohol in our other dragster, the extra maintance just becomes normal. But both of the oxygenated fuels and alcohol seem to be more consistant with altitude or air density changes, which in the end are what we're looking for in winning bracket races.
You think VP might give some kickback if I forward this thread to them?lol.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:34 AM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

On second thought, VP's advertising division might try to charge you with plagiarism! :shock:
Bruce
Old 04-27-2009, 11:51 AM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

Sorry, when your old like me sometimes its just easier to cut and paste...
Old 04-27-2009, 12:01 PM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

I'm sorry Dean, I thought it sounded like an ad that I just read a few issues ago. I do not have a scanner to cut and paste with, but knowing that info after my comment,sure makes my idea to solicit a kick back unrealistic now............ :lol: :lol:

Bruce
Old 04-27-2009, 12:04 PM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

Have you ran this year? How fast did you go?
Old 04-27-2009, 12:09 PM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

Would you believe that every single weekend that we have had to test including last weekend was rained out or snow was in play! It is just killing me to go into the first points event this saturday with a new 4 link set up, new cam shaft and 275 more horsepower from 5100 rpm to 7100 with the same peek power and not one test pass yet.
Michigan is not under the global warming spell I can tell you that for sure.
Bruce

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -