350 vs. 454

Old 04-21-2009, 05:44 PM
Jordan1984
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default 350 vs. 454

I have a mild 350 street/strip engine that runs low 7s in the 1/8th on nitrous, using cast internals. I have a guy interested in a trade, he is wanting to trade me a 454 .30 over, he says the heads have been redone, 10.1 compression ratio, forged flat top pistons. The motor looks good on the outside and done right, I see no oil leaks or cracks anywhere, and it runs and sounds good. I know what I have in my engine. However, I dont know who did the work to his 454. I have a turbo that would melt my 350 cast pistons in a second, and the forged flat tops in his 454 should handle the boost well. But I dont know if it actually has forged pistons in it or not. Should I trade and take the chance of not knowing if it has cast or forged pistons and throw boost to it, or keep what I got and be happy with it?
Old 04-21-2009, 06:27 PM
wrightway
SENIOR BUILDER

Not much to go on here low 7s in the 1/8 that’s like running low 11s in the ¼ depending on how much spray that’s not bad
Not knowing anything about the 454 but if its capable of the same times it has more value
Old 04-21-2009, 07:31 PM
chrisr
MASTER BUILDER

One thing for sure, if you decide to do it. PULL THE PAN AND INSPECT IT. You didn't mention if it was supposed to have good crank or rods but pulling the pan would help and you could also see the pistons. It is not as good as taking it apart but it is the least I would do.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:05 PM
Jordan1984
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

He didnt say if it had forged crank or rods, just forged pistons and arp all around. Pretty sure I got to change oil pans anyway to make it fit in a g body car. How would I tell by looking at the underside of the piston if it is forged?
Old 04-21-2009, 08:19 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

You know what jorden, you've been on here a few time,s mostly telling someone how to check compresion, and now you ask a totally different question. I get the feeling that you just need your ego scratched, you're not building anything, an you probably can't afford to. I've been on here a long time and you need to come back when you get your act together.

JMO

Zip.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:35 PM
Jordan1984
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Check out my ad 1526368. Yeah I am a beginner jumpin into the racing game. I was just tellin how I was told to check compression ratio and what was printed in the books. Im no expert, thats right. I done everything to my car build wise. Nobody helped me. All info I researched or did it by trial and error. Made alot of mistakes on the way, but learned in doing so. Just trying to get some more info and knowledge before I get in to deep.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:44 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Ok, let me get this straight, dude wants to trade you his built 454 for your virtually stock OEM cast bottom end 350 that you've shot the hell out with NOS? I would have already done it> what you waiting on?
Old 04-21-2009, 08:48 PM
THERATTLER
RACING JUNKIE

If you want to gain more knowledge on here , then listen to what people tell you instead of telling them they don't know what they are talking about , everybody on here are willing to help you understand anything you want to know , JUST LISTEN :lol:
Old 04-21-2009, 08:50 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Jordan1984
Check out my ad 1526368. Yeah I am a beginner jumpin into the racing game. I was just tellin how I was told to check compression ratio and what was printed in the books. Im no expert, thats right. I done everything to my car build wise. Nobody helped me. All info I researched or did it by trial and error. Made alot of mistakes on the way, but learned in doing so. Just trying to get some more info and knowledge before I get in to deep.
I appolagize, Jorden, No, come on back and we will help you if we can, but please donot come on here and act like you know everything, because none of us do. i'm 70 yrs. old and yes i hold an NHRA compatition lic., just renewed 4 days ago. Ask your question, be civil, an someone will help you,

Zip.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:15 PM
Jordan1984
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Only reason I havent done it yet is because I am scared that he might be lying to get me to go through with the deal, and that it would have cast pistons in it and when I throw boost to it that it would turn into 454 cid of junk in a second. He wants to down grade, he getting out of racing and wants a nice street engine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -