Thread: 66 chevy 396

66 chevy 396

Casting number is 3855961 I'm just wondering if I can take this 396 and make a decent bracket engine out of it? Anyone on here done this before?
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER

Re: 66 chevy 396

Quote Originally Posted by fast67bug
    Casting number is 3855961 I'm just wondering if I can take this 396 and make a decent bracket engine out of it? Anyone on here done this before?
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
    Fast bug you can make a wonderfully consistant engine out of this....I think it a 2 bolt but that is ok....seen 600hp out of these engines...you can put a strker crank...4.25 stroke and make it 461 I think it is with a .030 over bore, put a nice solid cam or roller in it with good heads, Dart Pro 1's 325's or Edlebrock RPM heads....will make easy 600hp with 11:1 compression... :wink:...I had a 402 in a 73 Nova SS that ran 11's with this set up in it...minus the stroker crank...

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    .030 over bore with a 4.25 stroke is 454 ci

I ran a 396 in my old 73 nova for many years, it was a great bracket motor.
    Mild (305magnum) hydralic cam, 11 to 1 piston's, team G, 750 Dp, 4.11 gear's - it ran 7.50's in the 1/8 all day long which would equate to high to mid 12's in 1/4. I think?
    ***IN GOD WE TRUST***

Thanks guys for the reply's This is a complete engine out of a 66 Impala. The wife wants to give a shot at racing so I thought I could build it up and toss it in my 79 Malibu and let her go racing while building a bigger one for the car.

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    I have a set of 67 396 closed chamber heads that will fit. I think they are 215 castings.

Thanks guys for the reply's This is a complete engine out of a 66 Impala. The wife wants to give a shot at racing so I thought I could build it up and toss it in my 79 Malibu and let her go racing while building a bigger one for the car.
    Not a good idea :shock: , that motor is worth a ton of money to #'s matching freaks. You can sell that motor for more that than your 73 is worth and build a much stronger motor with the proceeds :idea: think about it :?:

Zip.

DITTO :!: :!:

Quote Originally Posted by zipper06
    Not a good idea :shock: , that motor is worth a ton of money to #'s matching freaks. You can sell that motor for more that than your 73 is worth and build a much stronger motor with the proceeds :idea: think about it :?:

Zip.
    I agree....I took a 1970 512 casting 454 block and factory forged crank...used it in a bracket car and broke a roller lifter and cracked it.... And the mess that pumped through it got the crank too . It's still usable but is now .030/.030