Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water/methanol injection?

Water/methanol injection?

Water/methanol injection - can I use this on a naturally aspirated engine or does this have to be used with forced induction, such as a turbo or supercharger? If so, what kind of power gains can I expect?

yes it can be NA. I had a buddy who made a homemade setup and used windshield wiper fluid and when turned on you could actually hear the motor pickup. How much? It all depends on how radical the motor is to begin with. the higher the comp and larger the cam the better the amount of pickup

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    I would leave it alone more hassle than its worth in my opinion.

I thought the main purpose was to prevent detonation?

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDawgRacing
    yes it can be NA. I had a buddy who made a homemade setup and used windshield wiper fluid and when turned on you could actually hear the motor pickup. How much? It all depends on how radical the motor is to begin with. the higher the comp and larger the cam the better the amount of pickup
    Wait a minute, windshield washer fluid?

That stuff is caustic and hardly has any water in it, I can't imagine anyone injected that in their engine.

Sure you didnt mean he used a windshield washer fluid pump to injected the water maybe?
    ***IN GOD WE TRUST***

Member MASTER JOURNEYMAN
    Jegs has a kit that Painless Performance puts out. Windsheild washer fluid is 50%methanol and 50% water. Thats what they use. From what I understand this was used back in WW2 in the fighter planes for more power. The kit that painless puts out is for turbo or blower applicatioms with boost. I think it says its good for an additional 70 or so HP.

Member MASTER JOURNEYMAN
    I found a site www.alcoholinjectionsystems.co that has water/methanol systems for nitrous, boost, and naturaly asperated engines. It has some faq"s that might help anyone interested in this. I didnt know you could do this with a NA motor. Interesting stuff. It seems the water/methanol cools the intake charge and reduces exhaust gas temps. It enhances combustion like high octane fuel. Hope this helps.

Member MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Will a naturally aspirated engine run a quicker e.t with water/methanol is what I am trying to get at. Any body had any luck using it?

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE THERATTLER's Avatar
    :shock: :shock: :shock: I DO BELIEVE I HAVE HEARD IT ALL :?
    ***IN GOD WE TRUST***GOD BLESS AMERICA******