Need help puting a turbo on.....

Old 04-16-2009, 03:15 PM
Jordan1984
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default Need help puting a turbo on.....

I am putting a turbo on my monte carlo. It has a new 350 GM crate engine, 507/510 cam, 64 cc dart iron eagle heads edelbrock intake. I am putting a garret 74.5 mm turbo on it. I know I have to get a blow thru carb for it to work. What should I set my timing at? I know that boost is regulated at the wastegate, but how do I start it up with 8 lbs of boost max? Do I open the wastegate all the way and adjust to 8 lbs of boost? I would like to be at 8 lbs of boost max at 6500 rpm. Is the carb tuning just like a regular 4150 carb, change jets til you get it right? Please help so I dont melt my pistons or blow my head gaskets!
Old 04-20-2009, 10:26 PM
radicalz
MASTER BUILDER

Default Re: Need help puting a turbo on.....

Originally Posted by Jordan1984
I am putting a turbo on my monte carlo. It has a new 350 GM crate engine, 507/510 cam, 64 cc dart iron eagle heads edelbrock intake. I am putting a garret 74.5 mm turbo on it. I know I have to get a blow thru carb for it to work. What should I set my timing at? I know that boost is regulated at the wastegate, but how do I start it up with 8 lbs of boost max? Do I open the wastegate all the way and adjust to 8 lbs of boost? I would like to be at 8 lbs of boost max at 6500 rpm. Is the carb tuning just like a regular 4150 carb, change jets til you get it right? Please help so I dont melt my pistons or blow my head gaskets!
Jordan...Your best bet is to contact Turbonetics, or Garrett, or F.A.S.T. fuel delivery systems...with 8 lbs of boost at start up your going to need the timing to be variable...meaning as the boost kicks in the timing backs off...so you dont blow your head gaskets....if that doent work contact Gale Banks tech line...