Thread: wet sump/dry sump

Junior Member JOURNEYMAN

wet sump/dry sump

can anyone tell me the advantages/disadvantages of wet sump /dry sump for drag racing

all the local ford guys run them or the engine won't live. on a 6 or 7 second dragster the g's will pull the oil out of that mile long pic-up tube and starve the oil pump.also makes more power. the only problem is the cost,but cheaper than rods bouncing on the track.

Administrator RACING JUNKIE bjuice's Avatar
    wet sump- cheaper , no extra room required..

dry sump- superior oiling to vital parts, ads noticable HP gains beacuse no oil stored in pan.

i know where you can get a complete dry sump set up..fittings and all...ready to go for $1500.00.....cost over 4k new

let me know
    Bjuice..

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Quote Originally Posted by grslms51
    all the local ford guys run them or the engine won't live. on a 6 or 7 second dragster the g's will pull the oil out of that mile long pic-up tube and starve the oil pump.also makes more power. the only problem is the cost,but cheaper than rods bouncing on the track.
    x2
    Additional note: Due to tire and suspension improvements, all road race cars have to run dry sump. G forces are making the oil climb the wall !!