Water Temp

Old 04-13-2009, 05:24 PM
markthespark
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default Water Temp

I leave the front of stagging with my water temp at 160 degrees in a full bodied car. Do my burnout and head for the line. Stop before the pre stage lights turn on water pump and fan and stage. Temp would be about 180 leaving the line. After the run it would be about 190-195. I had a couple people tell me that I,am starting out with two high of water temp. What do you guy,s do<
Old 04-14-2009, 02:22 AM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

On gas, I try to be as cold as possible at the front of staging. Usually around 120-130. When I start the car, pump & fan are on until I get back to my pit. On alky, you'll want some heat. Probably about what you run now......jmo
Old 04-14-2009, 06:15 AM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Water Temp

Originally Posted by markthespark
I leave the front of stagging with my water temp at 160 degrees in a full bodied car. Do my burnout and head for the line. Stop before the pre stage lights turn on water pump and fan and stage. Temp would be about 180 leaving the line. After the run it would be about 190-195. I had a couple people tell me that I,am starting out with two high of water temp. What do you guy,s do<
My opinion would be to be about 10 degrees less than you described. But each car is alittle different. One thing to think about is that your pistons are a suppose to grow due to heat to a perfect circle at around 190 degrees. If you can get back to your pits and still be under 200 to 210 anything under will work. You'll find a sweet spot where you car wants to be.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:53 PM
markthespark
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

I,am getting the I told you so now. My buddy told be that I needed to start with 120-130 degrees on gas.I will try it and see what happens. Mt car is real consistant the way I,am doing itnow, and every two years I usally go through the motod and have had no problems. But I want to be doing it the right way. The only thing I have noticed is my reaction times are all over the place.We will see, Thanks
Old 04-14-2009, 04:19 PM
I972Nova
EXPERT BUILDER

Well one thing to think about is that the hotter the motor is your trans is going to be hotter too. The warmer your tranny is the more your lights will jump around and shorten the life of it.

Im with these guys, I roll into the water box about 130 and try to leave the line about 150. When I get back to the trailer, I am about 190 in the summer.